Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I use a keyboard with either of my iPads I don't want something to be physically attached to it, as that hampers my ability to position the keyboard as I need and like....which is going to be different depending upon the situation. I use the freestanding Apple BT keyboards which work just fine for me. I can understand how in some situations the ASK would be convenient but it's just not something I want to attach to my iPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I don't think so,because you don't want it any smaller for a decent ASK experience.
This is why I have a hard time believing a lot of the rumors that say the smaller iPad Pro will be shrunken down. One of their main selling points for the 10.5" Pro last year was that the ASK and on-screen keyboards were less cramped and more comfortable to type on. I 100% agree on both. I have never even bothered any kind of on-screen keyboard typing until I got the 10.5" iPad Pro. With the ASK for the 10.5, I can type every bit as fast as I do on my Magic Keyboard. I could not say the same for the 9.7". My hands just didn't fit as well on that keyboard.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This is why I have a hard time believing a lot of the rumors that say the smaller iPad Pro will be shrunken down. One of their main selling points for the 10.5" Pro last year was that the ASK and on-screen keyboards were less cramped and more comfortable to type on. I 100% agree on both. I have never even bothered any kind of on-screen keyboard typing until I got the 10.5" iPad Pro. With the ASK for the 10.5, I can type every bit as fast as I do on my Magic Keyboard. I could not say the same for the 9.7". My hands just didn't fit as well on that keyboard.

I think the plan was to increase the screen size while keeping the overall dimensions the same. I'd love it if I could keep using my 10.5 ASK, but I kind of doubt it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think the plan was to increase the screen size while keeping the overall dimensions the same. I'd love it if I could keep using my 10.5 ASK, but I kind of doubt it.
I'm sure they'll make it JUST different enough that you need a new ASK. ;)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Who doesn’t love spending $150-170 for a new dimension Smart Keyboard every 12 months?

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
10.5' ipad pro with LTE , smart keyboard and Citrix mouse. All I can ask for. Can do media consumption, can get work done via citrix with use the mouse and also do RDP sessions with Jump Desktop to my home PC which also supports the citrix mouse. Also got the apple pencil for taking notes or attempt to draw lol

I will add though- would be nice for Apple to enable Bluetooth mouse support natively so all remote apps can use it. The Citrix mouse is very expensive for such shoddy quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farsider

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
10.5 daily user whilst home.
with ASK it's such a portable browsing device.
Very comfortable and confident I can run 10.5 until 2 year contract completes mid 2019.
I'll see this contract through without any mid term device upgrades.
Amazing I found Puffin browser which runs employers ITIL e-learning course (when Safari doesn't)
This my favourite -iPad Pro replacing a windows laptop example -maybe not replacing though not far off it.
Home entertainment Apple Music+Sky Q t.v. -such quality from 10.5

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use my 10.5" Pro more than my MacBook Pro at home now. Don't get me wrong, I use my work MBP all day long when at work, and perhaps I use my iPad Pro more now because my old MBP at home is getting older and slower. It has been really great to bring to meetings for taking notes and for making drawings. It handles 42MP files from my Sony a7R III like a champ. Hopefully Apple doesn't relent this year and keeps pushing iOS on the iPad forward to keep making it more useful like a Mac. I think next time I might upgrade to a bigger size. I recently got a new job so I have a work MBP instead of an iMac and therefore I don't bring my iPad to meetings as often and find myself leaving it at home more. So since I don't carry it around as much, I think a bigger size could be better. Especially if the new one has reduced bezels and weight.

Reactions: Donfor39

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
i am glad i sold it and got a cheapo used 9.7 Pro. I'm holding out and hoping the next gen is more capable, i dont need a expensive companion device. i need a machine that can do it all in the tablet form factor.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I updated my 12.9 from 11.1.2 to 11.3.1

Seems like a new device

iOS 11 still not perfect but smoother and better

Same with my X

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I love, love, love my 10.5. The best iPad so far, period.
If they could make the bezels even thinner and merge it with the 12.9 or so I'll be drooling even more and will upgrade, but so far, coming from a 12.9 first gen, this thing with the keyboard and ios 11 is absolutely genius. I'm thinking about selling my macbook every month.

Reactions: eVolcre

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I have both the 1st gen 12.9 and most recent 10.5. I use them both about equally. The 10.5 is great for portability and the 12.9 stays on my desk. I would love a bezeless 12.9 making it have a smaller footprint without sacrificing screen size. I would probably sell both my 10.5 and 12.9 and just have one iPad.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
10.5 user here. I think it's a terrible OS put into the coolest computer I've ever used.

There's something about the brilliant screen and absurdly good speakers that just feels fantastic, but the entire product doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

Other than the iPad Mini, I can't keep this in my pocket, so I can only take it with me when I have my backpack. In which case, I can just as well take my Thinkpad, which can do more and can do it more quickly.

The screen is kind of wasted as well. Yeah, the aspect ratio is great for web-browsing, but again, I can be much more productive on a full computer. And if I want to watch videos in bed or in other hands-free situations, a laptop makes more sense simply because it can stand properly on a not flat surface.

I could also never take this with me as my only device because I can't code on it, but it also can't replace my iPhone because it doesn't have Signal or Whatsapp.

Honestly, right now the only thing I is use this as a second screen and music playback device when I'm traveling and my ****** Thinkpad speakers don't cut it. But that's such a limited use case.

I just can't think of a situation where I'd rather have the iPad than a laptop, honestly.

Reactions: eVolcre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.