10% off an iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rye9, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

What exactly do I need to bring to an Apple Retail store to get 10% off? Just an old iPod? The cable it came with and the box too?

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

i'm pretty sure all you need is the ipod itself. I highly doubt they need the cable or anything else, as they have boxes of those all over.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You get a discount for old iPods? Any old iPod?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't believe that shuffles are included in the offer, but I think all other iPod models are.

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok well now I have another question... is it worth bringning back my 2G 4GB iPod mini for $15 off of a 4GB silver nano?

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

does it work?

7. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Yes, it works perfectly fine, however the battery life is about... an hour. I can fully charge it and then turn it on to use it and it'll die once I click on a song to play. However after turning it off and on a few times it seems to finally play a few songs before it'll die.

8. elcerrito494 macrumors member

Keep it. There's plenty of battery replacements for minis that are ~$30.

9. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

You can sell it for more than that here...Ill give you 30

10. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well I don't want to keep it necessarily because I'd much rather have the newer, thinner iPod which can play videos as well (the nano of course). I'm not so keen to selling my iPod online... so where else would I be able to get more than $15 for my mini? Thanks for the help so far btw. :)

11. mikefly macrumors regular

online selling

craiglist.org

local sales. (almost) ******** free. No shipping and other nonsense.

Mike

12. Red Sox macrumors regular

It's pretty simple, really. If the amount of money you could get by selling it on ebay is greater than 10% of the new ipod price, then sell it on eBay. Otherwise take the 10%.

13. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well I just remembered that there's also a site to help me determine the worth... I remember you type in your iPod's information and it gives an estimate of worth. Does anyone know which site this is?

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Or just buy from target.com and use a 10% off code...

15. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well on target.com you'd have to pay shipping and stuff I think. Anyways, I checked a price on podswap.com and it said approx $22. I guess maybe the 10% off a nano is a loss of $7 but I don't have a use for my dead mini anyways.

16. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Can you trade in a dead iPod for 10% off? I have a mini that the dock connector managed to break....

17. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

Yes you can.

18. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

When i went in to the apple store the other day to buy my iPod touch they did not allow me to get 10% off. has anyone else had this problem. It says nothing on the website in regards to which iPods can receive the discount so i am Currently trying to contact apple and see what they have to say.

If anyone else has had this problem i would love to know.

Thanks

19. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I was under the impression that all iPod models qualify so I didn't specifically asked whether touch was an exception. When my local apple store has touch in stock, I'll bring in my 1st gen iPod and see if they will allow discount on it.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I was told at an Apple store that the touch was indeed included in the 10% off offer.

21. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I ended up getting my iPod touch from Bestbuy instead but thanks for the info.

22. Cal City Kid macrumors newbie

Last week at the Michigan Ave store I was told that they no longer sell "refreshed" ipods.

23. cazlar macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if I can get 10% off an iPhone using the Apple trade-in program?

24. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

if you don't need to pay VAT because you can put it in a company can you buy an ipod and get the VAT discount and the 10% off for a old ipod? (in Europe)

25. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Reclaiming VAT is nothing to do with Apple; if you can pass it through your business accounts and get your VAT back from the taxman at the end of the financial year, that will be completely unrelated to the 10%. You'll only get VAT back on the invoice/receipt price though. And (unless it's different in Belgium (is that where you are?)) you'll pay VAT to the Apple store when you buy it, it's not like you can wave a piece of paper and say "I have a business, I don't need to pay VAT when I buy stuff."