Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Fast charging has nothing to do with the adapter, and I agree I would like it.

What I'm saying is wireless inductive charging and WIFI file copy eliminate the need to plug in a cable. Only way to get me to inconvenience myself with a cable is a major benefit which fast charging is but not the reversible thingy that is nothing. Dinosaurs were first but do they have any relevance today? No.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
5. Apple's strategy is to launch new iOS update and recommends users to update, promising of fixing bugs and improvement of operations but that is not true. The iPhones slow down after the upgrade. The purpose here is to force the users to buy their new products that are currently released. If the user realizes this and does not upgrade, the red notification bubble will keep showing forever on the Setting icon, this is really a harassing problem which keeps rousing the user and sooner or later the user will be seduced to press on it to upgrade and let it go.
Android updates have killed just as many devices, if not more.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1821274/

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Your evidence is one forum thread?

Really? You think there's only one thread like that given all the millions of Android devices that exist? How many must I show? I'm not suggesting some iOS updates don't slow down older devices, but the argument that it rarely happens with Android is plainly false. In this regard, Android is no better.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He probably needs to flash the full image and wipe data (equivalent to iTunes full IPSW restore as new). At least he has the option to revert to a previous version unlike iOS.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Really? You think there's only one thread like that given all the millions of Android devices that exist? How many must I show? I'm not suggesting some iOS updates don't slow down older devices, but the argument that it rarely happens with Android is plainly false. In this regard, Android is no better.

You have said that Lollypop update has killed more devices than iOS update and the only proof you have is a thread where just ONE person talks about a Nexus 7 from 2012?

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
If you know it only changed when the iPhone 5 was introduced, then why did you say this in your original post?

Ok. I mistook. But I presume Apple will make changes in the next gen. Apple should have made it same to Android charger? But why not? Apple always wants to make their products uniquely odd which creates the difficulty to the user. Dont you guys see that Apple iphone can not use any chargers from other phone brand, when they sell new gen iphone, of course a charger will be included. One more point, the charger of iphone 5 and later can plug in by both reverse sides, this makes me feel an inaccuracy with it. Therefore I assume change will be made in next gen. Thats why I hate.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You have said that Lollypop update has killed more devices than iOS update and the only proof you have is a thread where just ONE person talks about a Nexus 7 from 2012?

I said "Android updates," referring to more than just Lollipop. Yes, a quick Google search (oh, the irony) will turn up tons of botched & slow Jelly Bean and Kit Kat update reports.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I said "Android updates," referring to more than just Lollipop. Yes, a quick Google search (oh, the irony) will turn up tons of botched & slow Jelly Bean and Kit Kat update reports.
Back pedaling :p

ios 8.0 update slows older device to a crawl. Same with ios 7.0. That many tens of millions affected. Ios is the worst if you talk about botched jobs.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Therefore I assume change will be made in next gen. Thats why I hate.

So, Apple makes ONE change in the charger since the inception of the iPhone and you assume they will change in the next generation.:rolleyes:

Look, you can pick whatever phone you want to use. Get what ever best suits your needs. That said, however, your original post was nothing more than a steaming pile of horse manure.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Back pedaling :p

ios 8.0 update slows older device to a crawl. Same with ios 7.0. That many tens of millions affected. Ios is the worst if you talk about botched jobs.

No backpedal at all. Since there are more Android devices than iOS devices, I would submit there are more Android devices are affected than iOS devices (since many, if not most, Android devices are low-end models rather than flagship devices). Though since many Android device makers abandon their lower-end devices immediately after release, users may not even get the opportunity to update. Either that or they're so accustomed to "Android lag" to begin with that they just don't know to complain.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I was with iOS 7 and sure this function was not available
FWIW, here's a guide written back in 2007 for the original iPhone that explains how the "Ask to Join Networks" feature works. AFAIK, iPhone was the first phone to have this feature. Android wasn't out yet, and I don't recall BlackBerry, Window Mobile, or Palm doing it.

By default, the iPhone is constantly on the prowl for wireless networks, which is a good thing. It may be annoying to see the iPhone constantly asking if you want to join networks, but once you've joined a network once, the iPhone will remember it and automatically join it again. This means that if you typically use your iPhone for Internet in the same locations, you can have it ask to join networks the first time you're in those locations, join the network(s) you want to use, and then turn off the "Ask to Join Networks" option in the Wi-Fi settings.
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1075255

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I had only one reason: iOS is a closed system. Possibilities are limited and you can not exist w/o iTunes. Same reason why I have an Android Tablet and not an iPad.

Okay. So, tell me what you couldn't do on iOS that made it closed? I'm really just curious, because this is the argument that everyone loves to use, but never really has a reason as to why it made them leave.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Set default apps? Use apps like Tasker or Lightflow?

Jailbreaking solves all that. I mean, if one of the big selling points of Android is being open and rooting/flashing ROMs, then you can't get upset when I suggest the same thing for Android.
Now, that said, how many new users are going to jump straight to Tasker/Lightflow without knowing anything else about Android?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Jailbreaking solves all that. I mean, if one of the big selling points of Android is being open and rooting/flashing ROMs, then you can't get upset when I suggest the same thing for Android.
Now, that said, how many new users are going to jump straight to Tasker/Lightflow without knowing anything else about Android?

I have not said anything about rooting, jailbreaking, etc. You asked what can't be done on iOS that can be done on Android.

And how many user jump or not don't have anything to do with your question, I don't know why you talk about that.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
I have not said anything about rooting, jailbreaking, etc. You asked what can't be done on iOS that can be done on Android.

And how many user jump or not don't have anything to do with your question, I don't know why you talk about that.
You don't have to. I know how this argument goes, since I've heard it time and time again from people just like you.
Are we going to discuss choice in handsets next? Customizing your launcher/font/widgets/icons? Please, let me know where we are going next.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Okay. So, tell me what you couldn't do on iOS that made it closed? I'm really just curious, because this is the argument that everyone loves to use, but never really has a reason as to why it made them leave.

Are you really serious about this question of yours or just trying to provoke another debate where the arguments of others fall under the subjective category of "already known, what's next"?

Try to organize your files in iOS with a file manager (all types!), copy, paste, move, delete etc. like you can do with Total Commander in Android.

Try to connect a USB stick to iOS device and move freely any file to and from it.

Try to download legal files (documents, trailers etc.) from a Torrent sites.

Try to send a file with Bluetooth.

Try to use an SD Card with iPhone.

Try to customize your phone (themes, special icons or even firmware, widgets, apps outside AppStore etc.)

Try to visit sites with Flash.

Try to open multiple apps at once (real multitasking).

Try to charge your iPhone with any micro USB cable.

Try to change your battery.

Just to name a few. Nobody is saying that Android devices are better. They are not. They just give you the feel of freedom, to do what you want with your phone. I used to be an iPhone user from the start, but I switched.
When time came to buy a Tablet it was evident that the iPad was out of question - amongst others - because of the above mentioned.
I am still an Apple fan and will remain so, but I acknowledge and see the limits of iOS, i.e. I won't trade freedom for control.

This post is not about starting an evergreen debate. I answered a question why "everyone loves to use this argument".

Last edited:

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Are you really serious about this question of yours or just trying to provoke another debate where the arguments of others fall under the subjective category of "already known, what's next"?

Try to organize your files in iOS with a file manager (all types!), copy, paste, move, delete etc. like you can do with Total Commander in Android.

Try to connect a USB stick to iOS device and move freely any file to and from it.

Try to customize your phone (themes, special icons or even firmware, widgets, apps outside AppStore etc.)

Just to name a few. Nobody is saying that Android devices are better. They are not. They just give you the feel of freedom, to do what you want with your phone. I used to be an iPhone user from the start, but I switched.
When time came to buy a Tablet it was evident that the iPad was out of question - amongst others - because of the above mentioned.
I am still an Apple fan and will remain so, but I acknowledge and see the limits of iOS, i.e. I won't trade freedom for control.

This post is not about starting an evergreen debate. I answered a question why "everyone loves to use this argument". I won't react to any post in this thread.

And again, the majority of your list can either be handled with jailbreaking, or simply utilizing devices (1st and 3rd party) to handle these issues.
By the way, try utilizing an SD Card on a Nexus device. Or swapping the battery. What? You can't? But, Android!
People like what they like. The OP simply tried to show his preference by listing poor choices.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

This post is not about starting an evergreen debate. I answered a question why "everyone loves to use this argument". I won't react to any post in this thread.

First, if any of the above really mattered I would be on Android. Second some of those points are hardware related and I'm going to discount those.

It's true about torrents, flash, file system and battery. Although I appreciate the sleek design of the iphone and not having root access, as I found out, was not the end of the world.

However facetime, imessage, airdrop are a significant trifecta. Being able to start something on your iphone and finish on your ipad is a kind of cool as is family sharing. IOS has true multitasking where it matters. In addition, the DAC on iphones are better than androids. (There's a thread on that subject here....you can search)

Oh yeah you forgot the notification light. :)

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You don't have to. I know how this argument goes, since I've heard it time and time again from people just like you.
Are we going to discuss choice in handsets next? Customizing your launcher/font/widgets/icons? Please, let me know where we are going next.

I don't know what is your problem, do you have problems understanding what other people say?

Please, read, you have asked what can't be done on iOS that can be done on Android. I have answered TWO simple examples, nothing less, nothing more.

All of your rants is you don't understand a simple answer that has broken your world.

Stop talking about widgets, rooting and any **** I have not talked about.

When you can write without trying to guess what others will say, post, until then, try to answer what I have said and not what you think other will say in your imaginary world.

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014

Cant make plentiful of amazing transitions like Barrel, or GO launcher on android. Cant share file on bluetooth, cant download countless free ringtones fron any open source like Cydia, cant just copy an AVI or FLV to the phone and play with a 3rd party player. Etc

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Cant make plentiful of amazing transitions like Barrel, or GO launcher on android. Cant share file on bluetooth, cant download countless free ringtones fron any open source like Cydia, cant just copy an AVI or FLV to the phone and play with a 3rd party player. Etc

Okay, if they are important to you, then you made the right decision. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.