Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

10 Tips and Tricks for the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard

wegster

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Regarding the Esc function, I‘ve tried using command and period key and also remapping the the globe key, but neither work all that well because sites like YouTube and Netflix still don’t recognize the function e.g. Exit full screen video.
Just tried it after seeing the vid and your comment. Seems like you have to tap it twice vs once, but works consistently in a quick test on YouTube. (Set Globe key = ESC, open vid in full-screen, tap globe key twice and it exits full screen mode)

Reactions: rp2011 and jcshas
Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
Just tried it after seeing the vid and your comment. Seems like you have to tap it twice vs once, but works consistently in a quick test on YouTube. (Set Globe key = ESC, open vid in full-screen, tap globe key twice and it exits full screen mode)
OK figured it out. It does work when viewing YouTube videos in browser (Safari) but not through the YouTube app.

Reactions: jdb8167 and wegster
Comment

chicagofan00

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Well, I finally decided to by the MK. Shipping in 2 to 3 weeks. My guess is there is more demand than Apple expected for it. My iPad will get far more use now as both a tablet, and for basic computing with the keyboard becasue of how easy it attaches and detaches.
Also, as a really nice charging dock for it.

Best Buy is showing the 12.9” versions in stock and arriving by Thursday if ordered today.

Reactions: rp2011
Comment

Mimiron

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
I’d love to try it out in a store after the lockdown. I have a MBP 15 for heavy work and the iPad is still limited by its software and there’s no way I’m paying 400€ for a keyboard that is as heavy as the iPad and they weigh more than a Macbook Air.
That said, iPad 2020 is my first tablet and it is a gorgeous device.

Last edited:
Comment

Arnold Ziffel

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Greatly appreciate the tip about evoking the software keyboard. I hadn’t discovered that yet. Really appreciate the Magic Keyboard. The keys make more of a thunk than other Apple keyboards, which I like a lot, plus the feel of the keys is excellent. The caps are stable with a good amount of travel.

The trackpad works very well and easy to adjust to — the smaller size feels just fine from the git-go.

Comment

jdb8167

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
So basically a whole lot of problems could have been solved with a row of function keys?
There might be room on the 12.9” Magic Keyboard but there definitely isn’t on the 11” (I only have the 11”). Even getting to the number row and the delete key are problematic on the 11”. I’m getting used to it but having another, even very thin row is just not practical.
[automerge]1588480298[/automerge]
anyone know an option for portrait mode with this? Nobody seems to be asking..

or perhaps more accurately, many people want THIS. I know I’ve been waiting a long time for it :)
Not possible with the Magic Keyboard. The Smart Connector is on the side of the iPad Pro. There is no possible connection in Portrait with this keyboard.
[automerge]1588480637[/automerge]
I don't have the option to select the ESC in the keyboard settings.
It is under General->Keyboard->Hardware Keyboard->Modifier Keys. You only have this menu item if you have a hardware keyboard attached.

Last edited:
Comment

gherman22

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
You don’t swipe down to go home, you swipe up. You swipe up and hold to go to multitasking, similar to the home bar but with three fingers.

you also don’t need to press the down arrow key on the keyboard before showing the virtual keyboard, a touch-and-hold on the down arrow is good enough.
Also if you are using multiple languages (I write in English and Thai) pressing the globe key cycles, English, Emoji, Thai, English.

Comment

theotherphil

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Regarding the Esc function, I‘ve tried using command and period key and also remapping the the globe key, but neither work all that well because sites like YouTube and Netflix still don’t recognize the function e.g. Exit full screen video.

Try a pinch gesture on the trackpad for exiting full screen.
[automerge]1588487778[/automerge]
More functionality at the same price but thinner and less weight? Yeah, who in their right mind wants that?

Somebody else may want to detach the iPad from the keyboard and use it as a tablet at half the weight and bulk.

Last edited:
Comment

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I’m surprised they didn’t make it able to fully fold back on itself. That is the main reason I’m not getting one. I don’t want to have to take it off every time I want to use it laying flat

Comment

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
I just use my iMacˋs Magic Keyboard, if I feel the need for it. Saves me, at least, 200 bucks. 🤷‍♂️

You are missing out on my favorite things of the ipads magic keyboard though. The trackpad and using it comfortably on your lap.

Comment

EditorsKeysUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Manchester UK and USA
Nice tips there. It’s a shame a few extra F Row keys weren’t added. I’m enjoying the case so far, but to be honest I think I’m going to return it and simply use a Magic Mouse. (I’m more of a mouse person anyway)

Comment

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
Yep love mine

12.9 and MK has replaced my laptop and now it’s a perfect 2 in one device

If it weighed less, was a real 360 hinge convertible with proper keyboard and trackpad, real OS.
Yes. It would be a perfect convertible.

Basically just make the MacBook 12 convertible with pen support.
Put Arm in it if you really have to.
It's not that hard apple. Let's go.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If it weighed less, was a real 360 hinge convertible with proper keyboard and trackpad, real OS.
Yes. It would be a perfect convertible.

Basically just make the MacBook 12 convertible with pen support.
Put Arm in it if you really have to.
It's not that hard apple. Let's go.

Until macOS does have proper IOS apps it’s a non starter for me.

If anything in the future i can see the iPad pushing the mac out. If they can put the pro apps on the iPad there will be little reason to buy a MacBook down the line.

Reactions: GuruZac
Comment

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Despite the outlandish price and heavy weight, I’m loving it.

You can use it to view in portrait mode but NOT with use of the keyboard, just as a stand.

I love the viewing angles and versatility. I’m using a 12.9 upgraded from a 2 yo 11 pro with the Smart Keyboard.
The iPadios is so much better than when I tried the larger iPad pro 2 years ago. ...Much better use of screen space.

Comment

ErikN

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
I’m loving this thing and it can mean I don’t need a laptop at all. My desktop and this. I’m an illustrator, so Mac’s lack of a screen you can draw on answers one of the questions so many people ask. “Why not just use a MacBook” is easily answered for me... you can’t use it as a drawing tablet. Hint number 10 just made it even better for me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.