100% battery says 5 hours and 30 minutes left?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krzkrzkrz, Jan 2, 2015.

1. krzkrzkrz macrumors member

Just purchased an MBP Retina today. Im fully charged at 100%. I have wifi switched on, bluetooth off, Firefox running with around 20 tabs open. I also have the App Store in the background (hidden) downloading Yosemite.

My screen brightness is slightly higher than 50%.

However, the battery display says I have only 5 hours and 30 minutes left.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features-retina/ says I should be having something close to 8 hours... Is this normal?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's a dynamic figure that changes according to use.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Firefox with 20 tabs.

Found your problem.

Note that Flash drains battery like hell.

Estimated time remaining is dynamic and changes with your usage.

4. krzkrzkrz thread starter macrumors member

So 90% battery life. Same scenario, but Firefox is closed. Just the App Store running. Says 6 hours and 20 minutes. Does that sound about right?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds reasonable to me.

6. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Just so you know, Firefox will drain significantly more battery than Safari so that is probably what accounted for it

7. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

If you were to install an all-around monitoring app like iStat Menus, you'd realize that your machine is running warmer while you are downloading stuff - it also draws power.
    Does your rMBP have a discrete GPU? If so, install gfxCardStatus. While you're running on battery, click on "integrated only". Note that if you want to connect your laptop to a monitor/tv while you're on battery via a HDMI cable, you have to switch to the discrete GPU; otherwise you'll come back to the forums and create another thread saying that you can't mirror/extend your display.
    If you are new to the Mac platform, "closing windows" does not work the same way it did back in Windows. Simply clicking on the red button pretty much "minimizes" the program, where as you need to "right click" on the app icon at the dock and click on quit to make sure that you completely get rid of it.
    The "ETA" you get on your battery is adaptive to whatever you're doing at that very moment. Your battery also has a "learning curve"; you will get better estimates down the road.
    Enjoy your laptop!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your time remaining is a constantly changing estimate, based on the minute-by-minute power demands of your system. It is not accurate because you will not have the same power demands 100% of the time until your battery drains. Apple's battery claims are up to X hours. They have never guaranteed you will get X hours of battery life because everyone's configuration, settings and workload is different. Forget about watching your battery time remaining and just use your Mac.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

9. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i was like you once, then i started enjoying my computers instead of constantly looking how much power i have left.