$100 (CAD) savings... worth buying refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deen456, May 9, 2007.

1. deen456 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've been THIS CLOSE to making the switch over to mac and getting a Macbook 1.83. I live in Canada, so the pricing is $1199+tax (with edu discount) for a brand new Macbook. But the refurbs are going for $1099+tax, so a $100 savings. I've been struggling with deciding whether to purchase the refurbished macbook, I've done a lot of research and read that apple has a very stringent quality control process and that the refurbs are good quality. But I've always got the unsafe feeling of buying refurb over new... especially if it's only $100 savings.

My question is - would I just be better off to go with the new Macbook and pay the extra $100 to eliminate risk of buying refurb? Any help would be appreciated -- I'm SO close to making the purchase.. Thanks!

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

what risks are you talking about when buying a refurb? from what i understand there is even more quality control on the refurbs than on the brand new ones, and don t refurbs come with new casing as well? and the exact same waranty as the new one soooo go refurb ...

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You might also get a "bonus". Sometimes BTO machines are resold as refurbs, so you may get more RAM/HD.

4. winchest macrumors regular

I second the bonus chance. I like getting the lower price and the potential for some extra RAM or upgraded HDD. I bought a refurbished Blackbook in December that was DOA which was followed up with another refurb that has been great and came with some bonus RAM. Take the "risk," it is the same warranty as a brand new mac.

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Same warranty, possibility of a "add-on", and they go through more rigorous tests than new ones before they are shipped. I love my Macbook Pro that i got through the refurb store!!

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Although I have never bought a refurb, it does make sense.

1. Costs less
    2. Same warranty
    3. Well checked out before delivery

FJ

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I would take the refurb Macbook and buy 2Gb of Extra RAM. This stuff has a life time warranty, I use 2x512 of the same brand (even the value RAM) and it works flawlessly. You only need to fork our an extra $50 plus taxes for it. (and the link is in Canadian Dollars).

8. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I just bought a Refub iMac and it works great. No problems. Put the money you save towards some ram and enjoy!

9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I personnaly would just spend the full price and get a new unit. It is a big purchase, alot of money, so why not just spend an extra $100 and know that you are the only one to every use machine.

I agree that Apple is excellent with quality control with regards to their refurbs, but perosonally i don't think that saving only a hundred dollars is worth it. If u know that u are gettng more ram or some other upgrade you'd have to consider it, but otherwise, i always just spend the few extra dollars and know that i got a brand new machine.

Best of luck with your decision.

10. cutsman macrumors regular

any idea if there's a difference between their regular RAM and the "Apple" one? which one are you using?

11. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

No difference in RAM cept the $1234345345 difference.

I'm in the same dilemna and when SR comes out im going to get a Black Macbook Refurb if the price drops and add some some.

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i noticed it s a pc 5400 stick? is this not a problem? if so then what are the differences btw pc 5300 and pc 5400

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Yeah, you're gonna want the PC 5300 for that one. I've looked on Tigerdirect.ca for Ram for recent Mac models, and don't see much. Anyone else have recommendations for online stores in Canada?

For what's it's worth, I recently picked up a 2.33 Ghz MPB refurb. It's beautiful, everything works just fine, not a mark on the casing. No special bonuses with mine, but I wasn't counting on any.
    Though the Educ discount doesn't apply to refurbs, you'll still be able to get your Applecare through the education store, saving $100 or so.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

message canadaRAM, he ll help you...

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is not the best price in Canada by a long shot. Keep ... ahem ... looking... and you will find better value on guaranteed Apple compatible RAM.

There is no difference between PC2-5300 and PC2-5400. They are both marketingspeak for DDR2-667