100% CPU usage, Dashboard client is the culprit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fredstar, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Hey guys,

Really annoying problem with leopard/my macbook black...the fans are running at full speed constantly as Dashboardclient keeps freezing and using up 100% of my cpus. I don't even have any widgets open and have restarted, repaired permissions. Seen this is a problem suffered by a few, anyone know of any fixes?

Cheers,
    Fred

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you have a file named com.apple.dashboard.client.plist in your Preferences folder, then drag it to the Desktop and reboot.

3. Fredstar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Thanks so much mate, fixed it! Legend!
    Was driving me nuts

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. nonniragg macrumors newbie

????

then drag it to the Desktop and reboot. what do you mean by reboot ing it ?

I don't understand that ?

please help me :D

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

1. Drag that file out of the Preferences folder and onto your Desktop.

2. Restart your computer.

7. LoweTriumph89 macrumors newbie

What do I do with the plist file

Just did this fix. what do i do with the plist file after i restart

works perfectly btw.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can delete it. .plist that are in your preferences folder are recreated on reboot (restart) if OS X doesn't see it in the folder.

It should be noted that deleting .plist files is a very useful troubleshooting technique that has almost no risk. If you have an application that is behaving abnormally, check to see if there is a corresponding .plist in the preference folder and move it to your desktop and restart.

9. BarbR7 macrumors newbie

Thank you to all of you who kindly share your knowledge!

Thank you to all of you who kindly share your knowledge! Had that Dashboard Client problem. I always like to check with those more knowledgeable before deleting a .plist. Good advice to put it on the desktop so if something really unwanted happens you can always restore your .plist file.

10. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

im new to mac os, where can i find the Preferences folder?

im running OS X 10.6.7 and im having Dashboard Client running one of the cores like mad... I dont know what might have caused it, but i suspect it started happening after i installed the iStat nano widget.

I needed to stop it to conserve battery power for some presentations, so i quit it from Activity Monitor. But i dont want it to happen again.

Help?

11. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

Scratch that,

i just found it.

Google knows everything :D

12. MacCoug macrumors newbie

Dashboard Client quits notice

I've had recent problems with my computer taking forever to boot up. A couple of days back it would boot up after about 30 seconds it now takes upwards of 1/2 an hour. I've tried disc utilities and virus scans to no avail. When it finally boots up (after 1/2 hour) I keep getting the message "DashboardClient quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected". Any suggestions would be welcomed.

13. jeska macrumors newbie

Thank you thank you thank you for this. I was having similar slooooooow loading problems and the Dashboard client was also the culprit.

Gratzi!

14. Flybye macrumors regular

Thanks guys! Although mine wasn't gobbling up cpu resources, it was taking up around 200MB or so of ram.

Deleted that puppy and all is good. :D

15. Krismo macrumors newbie

Problem with dashboard client

I have the same problem but the file was no where to be found... So i got rid of all the widgets and quit the process and it seemed to work...

Is it normal that the file didn't exist?

16. helpy macrumors newbie

Re: Problem with dashboard client

Yes, it's probably normal. There are actually two 'Preferences' folders that are active for every user. One for system-wide preferences and one for individual user-level preferences.

On my computer the system-wide preferences folder is located at:
    /Library/Preferences

And the user-level preferences folder is located at:
    /Users/%username%/Library/Preferences
    NOTE: Make sure you have enabled the display of hidden folders/files to see the 'Library' folder in your user's home directory.

TL;DR: On my computer the com.apple.dashboard.client.plist file was located in the user-level preferences folder. Moving it to the desktop (ie. deleting/disabling it) fixed the problem with the Dashboard / Dashboard widgets.

Thanks to the earlier posters for the fix! :)

17. thisrocks macrumors regular

thisrocks

I haven't tried this yet but I have a feeling it will work - Just waiting on an App Store update to finish so I can reboot then.

There was recently an update to the PEMDAS Dashboard widget, and I have a feeling this preference file still has references to the old version which no longer exists.

Main reason for my post:
    A tip for young players, if you don't want to keep hidden files/filers enabled but still access YOUR Library: With hidden files/folders on, make an alias (shortcut) to it, and then you can turn off hidden files/folders off. This isn't a tip I've come across anywhere on sites that tell you how to find YOUR Library folder.