100% CPU Usage on Ditto?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Jan 3, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Now I would like to say Im an intermediate Mac user and I know quite a bit but Ive never heard of this.

I was watching a DVD and just to check on the temps I opened iStat Pro

I realised that CPU was at 100% (with a DVD, smells fishy!)

So I brought up activity monitor...

There were two processes running called "ditto" which were taking up equal amounts of the idle space (see pic)

Now I've force quitted them but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the process is and how it occurred?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ditto is the UNIX copy command. Do you have a backup app working in the background?

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thats the surprising thing, I only had mail open (as I quit VLC to check it wasnt that)

Actually I have Norton antivirus that automatically checks CD/DVD/Firewire and USB drives I mount.

Could that have anything to do with it?

Also why would it run twice? Is it more beneficial?

Thanks

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know why it started twice... Umm... Get rid of Norton. That app/suite is evil and will only mess with your machine. No good can come from having it installed. When I used to have it, I needed a full reformat just to delete it. Uncool.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Got any other suggestions? At my school there are quite a few virus' going round and although they are for PC's I will get the blame if I dont stop it or it is found to be on my system!

Do you reckon it was caused by norton?

Thanks again!

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Norton isn't fully bug free for Leopard - I had numerous issues including it would not download the latest signatures, so I ended up killing. So issue #1 is don't use Norton on Leopard, and you'll probably hear the same from Tiger users running the latest minor version just prior to Leopard.

Issue #1 - No computer is ever 100% safe from viruses (one of many types of attacks, I'll use it in the general sense for any type of external attack) but Mac isn't owned by 98% of computer users nor does it run Active-X or Microsoft Visual Basic or a native Microsoft Internet Explorer. Those three account for the most trouble on the Internet, and Mac is virtually (but not 100%) virus free. Only two proof of concept viruses exist, and requires a user to enter their password to install, and others are phishing schemes that exploit software common to Mac and PC (QuickTime, images, Word, Adobe PDF to name a few) where a graphic or object takes you to a web site and the site asks you for your credit card or SSN.

Here's what you need to do to be safe AND please the others around you who insist you have protection on your Mac:

1) Use Firefox with the "AdBlock Plus" add-in and also enable the popup blocker functions within the Firefox setup as well

2a) Download for free ClamXav for basic protection (it extends clamav which is already running on your Mac under the hood) at http://www.pure-mac.com/virus.html#clamxav

or...

2b) Visit the link above and optionally pay for shareware anti-virus protection with the fancy GUI's like you see in Norton, but that work properly. The prices range from cheap to downright abusive.

After doing this, explain to whoever complains that all the usual common sense behavior applies, no matter Mac or PC:

* Don't open attachments you're not sure of
    * Don't submit personal information unless the web page is encrypted (SSL) meaning the web address background color turns yellow in the browser
    * Don't send passwords in E-Mail

etc. etc.

BTW, others might have suggestions on freeware Mac anti-virus software and still others will take the time to explain to you to DO NOTHING, which is basically the most common answer for Mac these days. My advice is intended to please you, educate you, and also please those people you mentioned who are uneducated and require you to do something to please them.

One final comment - a few years from now, when more people own Mac's due to the iMac explosion, more hackers and black hats will find exploits and it might be wise to revisit this issue then.

-jim

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Although I knew some of it I found it a very good read!

At the moment running tiger (so hopefully no issues with norton) I am more confident running norton as it is more automated than ClamVX which requires alot of manual work (and the annoying feature that doesnt let you scan your whole hard drive!)

But thanks all the same!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Norton was bad on Tiger (and Panther) in my humble experiences. Seriously, you need to get rid of it. :eek:

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can't be a carrier for the virus though. You can stop the propagation if someone sends you an infected e-mail or file.

ditto will only rear its head during a backup operation.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a pretty basic operation. It'll get used more frequently than just during backups.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Rare to see it using that much CPU time unless you're backing up though. :p

Or any other massive file operation...

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

True. It could be like that during a sync though, depending on how the user was syncing...

13. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

The trouble is, is there is a virus going round my school that automatically "jumps" (technical expression) on to a pen drive if mounted on an infected system!

ATM I like norton's ease of use and its GUI and maybe when I get a new laptop (some time soon) I may try and buy an alternative perhaps!

Thanks for your help though!

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Explain to me how it'll spread an on OS X based system unless it's designed to run on OS X.

15. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Excellent question, my eyebrow is raised too. :rolleyes:

Hey, acearchie, when I talked about Microsoft Visual Basic script, Active-X controls and Native Microsoft Internet Explorer (look up the word native if unsure) I was referring to how viruses cannot spread TO a Mac!

This is not to say there aren't means to infect a Mac, but all the viruses going around today which can affect BOTH the PC and Mac platforms are usually of the types listed above (trojans, phishing schemes, third party client apps aside) plus the two proof of concept viruses on Mac OS X require the system password to install. Many people don't even call such viruses "viruses" if it can only be installed that way (i.e. how can you protect a computer from morons!) heh -- not calling anyone here that!!! I'm just stating fact!

I know this seems like a berating post, but honest to GOD it's an important concept alot of people haven't gotten a clue about! It's worth mentioning twice!

-jim

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate seriously, you don't have to worry about it. The process that may be causing the virus to spread onto the thumb drives won't run on OSX and therefore won't spread.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quoted for truth.

18. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

sorry, my last post may have not been explained well enough.

i only have Norton so it sees the virus (or whatever it is) on the USB pen so it can delete it.

I know it wont affect my mac but I will be told off if it is my pen drive that then goes out and infects more PCs so having Norton get rid of it for me saves alot of time and trouble.

And since there isnt a more stable similar GUI style virus software ill stick with it for a bit longer.

i hope this clears some things up!

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

What a virus?

it has successfully located the virus thats going round successfully, yes!

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well at least you're stopping a Windows infection then. *shrug*

22. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Also, why not follow everybody's advice and get rid of Norton? It's worse than installing Shapeshifter...!!

23. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok like ive said a couple of time already!

I like the GUI and it is the best program that requires minimal work and set up and can simply be left to find virus etc...

Because of this virus that is going round my school i have to have a virus program that will find this virus.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions (not including clamxav) then be my guest!

thanks

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Seriously, get rid of Norton and any antivirus program.

The school PCs should have an AV program. If they don't, well, then it's not your problem and you shouldn't have to install some POS software on your machine that's going to hog your CPU because of your school's inability to protect their computers.