100% CPU utilization

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Nov 11, 2007.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I logged in to my iMac today running leopard and one core is maxed out at 100% CPU. My keyboard will not connect and it everything just keeps hanging. I have tried removing everything from the login items menu but nothing is working. I booting in to Windows just to make sure that it wasn't a hardware issue and everything seems to be ok.

The only real change before this problem ocurred was that I installed something in Windows that reduced the size of the windows partition to just 4GB. Could this ne the problem?

I can't even launch console in normal boot up. I can launch console in safe mode but it doesn't tell me much. Has anyone got any ideas? Please help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Strange. From Apple's Support Pages, Safe Mode does the following at startup:

• It forces a directory check of the startup volume.
    • It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).
    • In Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier, it runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the items in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems - and different than login items).
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts .
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501.
    • Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all startup items and any Login Items.

These areas are obviously a good place to start looking for the culprit. :)