>100 % cpu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-collector, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

I sometimes see my % CPU in activity monitor go above 100 % to, lets say, 140 %. What does this number mean? Obviously not total CPU usage. Why is the maximum not 100 %?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

1 CPU core is 100 %, 2 CPU cores are 200 %, 4 CPU cores are 400 %, 4 cores with 2 threads per core (HyperThreading, having eight virtual cores) gives you 800 % CPU capacity, thus 140 % CPU activity is using at least a dual core CPU.

3. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

Interesting, nice to know!

I always wondered about that, what would it mean, when CPU is >100%...
    Anyway, the only software, which brings the CPU at this, is Skype, don't know why.............. Bad coding probably :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Do you video chat? If so, is the CPU activity that high during that activity? If so, then that is because the video has to be compressed* in real time, which is CPU intensive.

* to make it smaller and faster to upload

5. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

no, if I would video-chatting, it would be okay, but most of the times it happens randomly, e.g. when a normal chat window is opened, or generally, when skype is running, doesnt matter, if its minimized or not... The only workaround, which I figured out, is to quit completely skype and restart it... After some time the same thing happens again (estimately once/twice a day - so its not a real pain...)

even heavy CAD software or PS etc doesnt get the cpu at its limits, like skype sometimes. Funny :)

6. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Unless the fan is turning on high speed and the bottom of the Macbook is heating up, I wouldn't worry about it. Usually it's flash that causes spikes.

7. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Or you are maybe from Russia.