$100 Data Cancellation Fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chocolate632, Jul 8, 2009.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I went to my local mall to see if any iPhone 3GS's were available. I passed a BestBuy Mobile and decided to check if they had any iPhones. They guy clearly didn't know what he was talking about because they said they don't offer it without a data plan and neither does Rogers/Fido, even though im certain they do.

So I then passed a Fido store and asked the guy the same question. He said they were out of stock, but to go check the Apple store. He also said that I can get it without a data plan, but I would have to pay iPhone Cost + $200. He then said that I can get it *with* data but cancel it before July 19 and only pay a $100 cancelation fee.

Does anyone know about this fee? And where would I have to pay this fee, on my first bill?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the etf is 175 not 100

decreases by 5 bucks each month

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes but he said if I get it before this certain date (July 19) i can cancel data for $100.

4. arykmax macrumors regular

This is AT&T's cancellation fee scale and they require a data plan no matter what. I believe the OP is talking about Fido, which I know nothing about.

5. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes im in Canada, no AT&T here ;)

Does anyone know anything about Fido regarding this situation?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol actually, the ETF is $400 to terminate your VOICE PLAN and $100 to terminate your DATA PLAN.

And to the OP, yes data is mandatory because Rogers (and Fido (same company)) is retarded. :)

7. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

No im 100% sure you don't have to get a data plan, I was told by the Fido rep and by www.iphoneincanada.ca. Its also on the Fido website. I would just like to know about this offer that expires July 19. And when i cancel the data, do i have to pay for that month use of data? or do i just pay the $100 on my bill

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

No way not to have a data plan on any iphone.

9. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

That's not true at all.

Not on at&t anyway. All you need to do is tell them you dont want data, or tell them you want a wix block. I know some people that have this.

Maybe rogers wont let you do it though.