100% DirectoryServices CPU utilization?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mchank, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mchank macrumors regular

This has happened a couple times when I've plugged in my Macbook to recharge it; my CPU usage will jump with the fans going ~4800 rpms and iStat menus reports that DirectoryServices is using 100% of my CPU. My computer becomes unresponsive (spinning ball, choppy mouse movement) and I have to do a hard restart as nothing responds. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've had it go to 100% as well but all i did to solve it was force quit it in activity monitor. No need for a hard reset here, just a little patience for things to load.

3. sebascrub macrumors member

The same thing has happened to me twice in the last 24 hours, and I can't understand why... when I got home late last night, I noticed my fans were running hard, and iStat told me that DirectoryService was using 140% CPU. The dock crashed and I had to do a hard restart, but that everything after that was fine. I used my computer as normal, it was on all night playing iTunes and downloading. Today, all I used was regular Mail and Safari stuff, as well as iTunes and Transmission. I left my computer for a while, and when I came back, DirectoryServices once again was using up like 100% CPU... I couldn't even open Activity Monitor or Finder (they just bounced in the dock for a while and just sat there). Any solutions? Or at least, any ideas of what's going on?

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I had the exact same problem but I uninstalled Perian, as it failed a couple of times doing its version check, and I haven't had the problem since.
    So it really seems to be some kind of being offline problem with apps that go into a neverending loop.

5. ttrtilley macrumors newbie

This problem is still around in 10.5.2
    I can't reproduce the problem, so won't be able to tell if uninstalling Perian fixes it or not.

Has it still not returned for you?