100% Happy w/ 24" iMac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eRondeau, Dec 17, 2007.

1. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I've owned my 24" 2.8GHz "Extreme" / 2GB / 500GB for just about a week now, and I am 100% happy with it! I post this because while I was awaiting delivery, I worried myself sick with second thoughts. So if you are considering this same purchase, here's what I've got to tell you...

o The 24" screen is PERFECT in every way. It is quite honestly the nicest-looking display of any type that I've ever seen. The colours are gorgeous!

o I was worried it would be too big; it's not. (I upgraded from a 14" iBook G4 that I've used for four years.) It took about 10-minutes to get used to.

o I was worried it would be too bright; it's not. It's located in front of a big window looking outside, and the brightness range is adequate for facing bright sunlight to the darkest nights.

o I was worried it would be too shiny and reflective; it's not. I have never yet been distracted by any reflections.

o I was worried I'd be sitting too close to it; I don't. I sit about 15" away as my desk is very narrow. No trouble at all.

o I was worried that I should have spent a little less $$$ and got a 20". I was wrong. The C2D "Extreme" is incredibly fast. It rips DVD's about 15x faster than my iBook, without noticeably slowing anything else down.

o I was worried that it would be one of the "noisy" ones; it's not. I can barely hear the drive whirring away, and once in a while the fan too. But for all intents and purposes it is silent.

o I was worried that I should have got more than 2GB RAM. So far, so good. No page ins/outs noted.

o I've got two LaCie d2 external drives connected thru FW800. Good Lord is that connection ever fast! Who'd ever want USB?

o I was worried that I wouldn't need all this power. Wrong, I do!!!

In every way this machine is a huge leap beyond any home computer I've ever owned, and I've owned Commodore PET's, a Vic-20, a C-64, an Atari 400, an Amiga 500, an Amiga 2500, and an iBook G4. In their time they were all cutting-edge machines, but this iMac set an entirely new standard. If you're considering an upgrade from whatever you've got now, I'm sure you'll be every bit as happy with this as I am. Yes it is a lot of money, but it is a lot of computer, and clearly a lot of thought went into creating it.

Attached Files:

• iMac.jpg
      iMac.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
  2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Looks sweet. Love the location and view. I have bene considering the 24" iMac, but I haven't been able to make up my mind. Your setup makes it look awesome :)

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm totally jealous of that view of yours.

But, like you, I'm 100% happy with my 24" 2.8GHz iMac.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

nice setup duder :D

I think you could have issues if a window like that were behind you... but that's not the case, so not to worry!

I had a iMac CD with 1GB RAM and it's still the favourite Mac I've owned, had to lose it for portability reasons. Because of my reservations about the new screen, I'll have to grab a MacBook Pro with external monitor for that iMac-style experience!

5. peejack macrumors 6502a

I dont have the 2.8 but i have the 2.4 24" and am 100% happy too :)

6. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Sounds like you have everything worked out, congrats on the new iMac.

7. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Wow - that's an awesome backdrop to the iMac!

I have a 20" 2 Ghz G5 iMac rev b (May '05; bought 4 months before the rev. c with iSight came out).

While my 2 Ghz Macbook utterly blows it away performance wise (for example, the
    Macbook does the PS blur test in 32 sec vs 1:40 for the iMac), the screen quality
    is SOOOO much better on the iMac - and still looks as good as new. The lack of
    speed is of no concern; the Macbook can take care of the heavy CPU stuff.

That's quite a jump from the iBook! I went from a 400 Mhz Pismo to the Macbook...Sweet!

Might have to check out the new iMacs one of these days...

8. Tom J macrumors regular

Wow! The only thing that could top it is if you have deer walking by occasionally.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Beautiful :)

I'd love a 24" iMac myself so I'm a bit jealous of the machine and the view.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

When I clicked on this thread, this was the first thing I read after the title; you can understand my confusion. It was only after I scrolled up and saw the picture that things came together :^) Gorgeous computer, great setting!

11. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Great looking set-up. Reminds me of when I lived in Alberta, Canada. A very long time ago no PC's no Apples well not this kind anyway. But the view is every similar. Thanks for the picture.

12. eRondeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Deer are everywhere up here! Sometimes in the winter they "stampede" along the beach and leave a huge cloud of snow behind them. Very cool!

Attached Files:

13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

brag brag brag brag brag brag :p :)

congrats on the purchase and congrats on the imacified beach view :) Nice to hear some good news on these boards!