100 ios 4 new features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chevenowner, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Chevenowner macrumors regular

Does any 1 knows all the 100 new software features in ios4

not asking about api,s our hardware improvements
    just the software improvements
    according to sj
    there are 100 new features(improvements)
    Does any 1 know all of them

Here are few i know

Background audio (think Pandora).
    Background VoIP (think Skype).
    Background location data, both with live GPS for backgrounded turn-by-turn, and cell tower-based for lower power draw.
    Orientation lock -- you can set it to always stay in portrait
    Spell check (like on the iPad).
    Bluetooth keyboard support (again, on the iPad).
    User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite).
    Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos, and a 5x digital zoom for the camera.
    Playlist creation and nested playlists
    App folders for sorting apps. You can even put an app folder in the dock.
    Enhanced Mail. You can have a merged inbox view, switch between inboxes quickly, and sync to more than one Exchange account. There's also threaded messaging (at last!) and in-app attachment viewing.
    iBooks, just like on iPad, only smaller. You can wirelessly sync books between platforms, a la Kindle.
    Enterprise features, including remote device management and wireless app distribution.
    Local notifications. Like push notifications, but sends a notification straight from the app without needing a push notification server, perfect for an alarm, for instance.
    Fast app switching. Saves the state of an app and resumes it from where you left off, without dwelling in memory.

Can any 1 name all others ??

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

He said iPhone 4 had 100 new features, not iOS4., didn't he?

3. Chevenowner thread starter macrumors regular

NO
    when he announced iphone 0s4 in april which is now ios4 he said 100 new features

thats what i wanted to know what are they

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That included APIs in the 100+

5. Chevenowner thread starter macrumors regular

how come you guys don't know the difference between api,s and software improvements
    api's are separate
    they are for developers
    i am just talking about the 100 software improvements he was talking about

6. WG5516 macrumors regular

YES finally. No more scrolling thru all of your playlists. Thank you apple! I can careless about all the other features. :D:apple:

7. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I'm wondering if they improved the sounds/alerts profiling.

coming from a blackberry to an iphone and then back to a blackberry. I really did miss being able to have different sounds for different email accounts.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

How come you don't know there's already a topic on the 100 new features and is much better then this sorry excuse for a topic.

9. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As a professional software developer for the last 15 years, I do know the difference, I think you're the one that doesn't. You're looking for user features, not software improvements. Cutting 2 lines of code down to 1 is considered a "software improvement" but the user will never see it. APIs are very much a software improvement for developers.

I recall no specific mention of 100 user features. I only remember the slide that had both user features and APIs written on it. That's not saying there wasn't one, but I don't recall one.

11. CJayC macrumors 6502

Someone tell me the difference in professional terms. I know what APIs are but loosely.

12. monksealpup macrumors regular

This was in the iPhone OS 4 (now iOS 4) announcement in early April. They said 1500+ new APIs and over 100 new user features. Both got big, bold, "metal" numbers.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

There's a new accessibility feature called Large Text. It enlarges text (obviously) in contacts, mail, messages and notes. Sizes range from 20pt to 56pt.