100 ipads deploying for limited time

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by feep, Mar 8, 2011.

1. feep macrumors newbie

There will be an event with about 100 ipads. They will be used by the attendees to retreive information of this event via an custom app.

After the event, the (reseted) ipads will be a gift to the attendees.
    (2bad i cant be one of the attendees myself^^)

My question is, whats the best way to distribute this one developed app on all those devices.

a)
    My idea is to create one dummy appstore account without credit card info.
    Deploy my developer certificate and my app directly through xcode on one ipad device.
    Backup it and rollback it on all other devices.

Could the developer certificate be a problem when deployed on different devices?
    The ios-developer program has a device amount limitation... so registering all 100 ipads wont be an option.

b)
    use enterprise dev. program and deploy the app once (wireless or via itunes)
    b.1) activate with dummy account, install enterprise app, backup and restore it on all devices
    b.2) activate all ipads with the dummy account and repeat the installation of the app 99x (probably better wireless distribution then)

@ a)
    the dummy account wont be able to install dev-apps via xcode, is my wild guess ;-)
    so the solution must be with my original developer account and appleID(+creditcard).
    that could work, but thats kind of weird... the attendees would be only a password away from limitless shopping through my credit card ^^

do you guys ve any special thoughts on that?
    the enterprise option looks currently more solid and the price of 300 wouldnt be a burden.
    I'm sorry, if there is already a thread about something similar.

thanks ahead

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I realize that the $300 for the Enterprise program won't be a financial burden when you are also buying at least $50,000 worth of hardware, but it sounds to me that you may just want to consider making your custom app a webapp/mobile optimized website instead of an app. You can do a lot, including offline caching that way.

B

3. feep thread starter macrumors newbie

the 300$ as previously said, wouldnt be a burden, even though i wont buy all those devices myself :)

the main question is/was the strategy for the fastest/easiest distribution

a manual activation of all those devices seams inevitable

@html5 would be a very nice way to go
    + it could elimininate the manual deployment of the app.
    - the amount of data in this szenario can be roughly 1-3gb.
    these data must be pre-fetched. Afterwards there is no internet access guaranteed
    -must be done via safari

@app
    +for the easyness for unexperience users, i think it should be an icon(app) to touch on.
    +it still could be html5 (html5 is fun!)
    -deployment procedure

thx

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can easily add a bookmark to the iPad's homescreen with a custom icon to your bookmarked offline HTML5 site, so these should be =

e.g. http://rakaz.nl/2009/09/iphone-webapps-101-getting-safari-out-of-the-way.html (Google found link, no direct experience with it).

B

5. feep thread starter macrumors newbie