100$ Price Drop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChadBrommer, May 13, 2008.

1. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I heard a while ago about apple dropping the 8gb and moving the 16gb and 32gb models down a hundred bucks. Anyone have any idea when that will happen?

2. Viremia macrumors regular

3. cwheatley macrumors member

No one here knows any more about that than you.

4. henchosbandito macrumors member

this is my least favorite thing about apple - their constant price dropping. Sometimes i wonder whether it is worth buying any of their products as they always go down in price a couple of months after you buy them, no matter how soon after the latest price cut you buy.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

whenever the price of flash memory lowers enough to allow them to produce the 16gb at the same price they currently make the 8gb.
    You think it's fair to keep charging the same $ for outdated specs?? By those constant price changes, I think apple keeps it's reputation as a progressive company. They continually update and better their products (although quality control has gone down the tube recently).
    Although, I can understand the frustration if you decide to sell something a few months later and they have updated products significantly since you bought new. It hurts the higher than normal resale value that we were used to in the PPC days.

6. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I admit that is frustrating, but I don't see how this is a bad thing. We're talking about tech merchandise here. I bought my touch a month before they started coming with the iPhone apps for free. I JUST bought a replacement iMac two weeks prior to the latest update. But such is life, my 3 yr old iMac died and I had no other option. When they gave rebates to the early iPhone adopters I thought that ridiculous because if the iPhone was WORTH $600 to those buyers, then what's the problem? The rebate was a nice PR gesture on their part.

But again, it's frustrating, though I'm sure I'll be buying another 30 or so Apple products in my lifetime.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Could coincide with the new iPhone 2 - they do share the same platform and software. They'll come with the new software as well.

8. shadowdude77 macrumors newbie

What "outdated" specs? The Touch is the newest iPod out! It's not outdated!

9. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I think what he's saying about outdated specs is the fact that they are coming out with bigger and better and also the fact that flash memory keeps dropping, why charge 500 bucks for something that could be manufactured for much, much less. That is bad PR.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

ummm.. what? compare apples prices to pcs and which drops more often?

also, you hate saving money?

11. henchosbandito macrumors member

Course i dont hate saving money! I save money so i can buy more apple stuff. And i suppose it is better for apple to drop their prices regularly rather than never. I apologise for my idiotic ramblings! :D

12. actingbiz1 macrumors member

actingbiz1

Well take comfort in knowing that if a price change happens when you buy a product, you have 14 days to get the difference.
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html

UNDER PRICES

13. appletowns macrumors newbie

The real problem isn't their "constant price dropping" as some have mentioned, it's that there isn't any middle ground...

Apple's price drops are harder to swallow (to those who just bought prior to the drop) because their products don't go on sale and the price doesn't drop or fluctuate at all until a new product is released (or w/ Apple TV where they're vying for more sales from the product and market share) If it was possible to get their products on sale it would allow for a little more tolerance, but they don't really go sale...

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A $50 price drop is more likely on June 6th - try to get the Touch in as many hands as possible for those who don't need a phone but want a great PDA.

I know some people who will be looking for a new PDA (they have old Windows Mobile and Palm Pilots) and I'll be recommending the Touch.

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I know, its so annoying that Apple lowers their prices occasionally :rolleyes:

I wish I still paid $499 for a 10gb iPod