100% to 64% overnight

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by iBug2, Sep 29, 2017.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Left my iPhone 7 Plus last night, iOS 11.0.1, it was at 100%.

In the morning, it was 64%.

This is probably the highest battery drain I've seen overnight.

2. Casfin macrumors regular

crazy. the experiences on 11have varied wildly. My ipad air 2 on 11.0.1 has been great. No issues.
    Overnight it rarely drops even 1%, same as it was on previous ios versions.

That said, I'm holding off on upgrading my phone. Not much compelling from 10-11 on the phone. I'l wait at least for the .1

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Well, this is obviously abnormal, so you either have a bug, or you have a hanging app. Do you know how to troubleshoot this issue?

4. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Same experience here. iPhone 6s Plus. Battery drain at idle is unbelievable at times. I am contemplating a clean instal to try and resolve these issues.

Has anyone done it this way and has it helped at all?

5. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

What app has a bunch of usage in background in the battery settings? I’ve noticed YouTube is doing a lot of background nonsense. I make sure to clear it from the multi tasking every time now.

6. scjr macrumors 68020

scjr

When I had similar battery drain issue with my 7 Plus, my WiFi would end up in a loop trying to connect to internet. In the morning battery was anywhere from 60-80%, instead of 100% as usual. I tried everything to troubleshoot. I swapped out router and it fixed the problem.

I would see this in WiFi settings every morning:

Attached Files:

7. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

I had this with my 8. I disabled location services for the App Store, did a hard reset and my battery life was back to normal.

Not sure if updating to 11.0.1 broke something whereby the app store was always requesting my location but switching it off helped me :)

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

By any chance is your data status spinning constantly?

9. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Nope, but weirdly it was App Store that ate most of the battery.

10. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Most likely buggy location services on the App Store. Try to turn that off and see if you still have that issue.

11. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, gonna turn off location services for App Store. I also reinstalled iOS 11 and this time set it up as a new device (HATE DOING THIS!!!).

Let's see how much the battery runs out tonight.

12. anubis1980 macrumors 6502

6splus clean installed, after 4 days. Battery has settled down. Still a laggy mess at times but battery is better. Not perfect mind but better than before

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I know this is common device, but not sure why folks are so quick to do this. It’s like bug bombing your whole house because a mosquito buzzed around your ear while sleeping.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If I’m troubleshooting an issue, I’m doing about a dozen other things (including a trip to the Apple Store) before I wipe all of my texts, settings, preferences and app data.

I guess if one wanted to confirm that it’s a software issue, one could back up the phone, reset to factory, see if the issue persists, then restore from backup and continue troubleshooting, but even that’s probably overkill.

15. simmi99 macrumors newbie

16. simmi99 macrumors newbie

No. I have a 6S plus on ATT and. Did a clean install last night and still having drain today. It seems to be worse when using LTE and drops fast. I turned my phone off and back on and it added some juice.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I did a clean install on my iPhone 7 Plus after experiencing battery drain, no change.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Exactly my thoughts.

19. Perene macrumors 6502a

Perene

You need to visit https://bugreport.apple.com/ with your Apple ID. Then they will provide proper links and instructions for you to report these battery issues.

20. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Either delete YouTube or make sure it’s cleared out. This is the culprit for me. I really don’t know what it’s doing in the background

For now I’ve turned off background refresh for youtube, let’s see how it goes.

Attached Files:

21. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok after setting iPhone up as new, overnight drain is back to normal. 98% in the morning.

22. Westside guy, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

iPhone 6S, same problem. Throwing the phone into "Low Power Mode" as soon as it's unplugged solves it.

However thanks to what I read in this thread, I just discovered that App Store background activity seems to be a large part of the issue. So I'm going to disable location services for it, as well as turn off the "automatic downloads" that magically got turned on (like many things did) as part of the iOS 11 "upgrade". It's unfortunate that you can't completely turn off background app refresh for apps like this, though.

Update: turns out that didn't make any difference. Ok, well, low-power mode still does the trick.