$1000 27" display, VGA camera

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by turtlebud, Feb 24, 2011.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know that the isight camera was VGA when I bought my 27" display last week, but it pains me just a little that facetime is HD and I feel like my display is in the stone ages relative to the new macbook pros now in that area. Not a huge deal cause I bought the display FOR the display, but would have been nice if it had the HD camera.

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Same boat as you. Purchased mine last Friday. I was really hoping for a refresh today, so that I could take it back.

Maybe on March 2nd?

By the way, the camera itself isn't VGA resolution... it's actually 1280x1024-- higher than 720p. Apple just won't enable it in Facetime. Greedy.

3. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

so the camera is indeed HD just not enabled?
    im sure they would have implemented HD camera in the cinema since other monitors n webcams had it already
    They future proofed in that respect I hope

i got one too last week.

4. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I think they're probably using a different camera in the new MBP-- most likely one with a 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the current isight's 5:4. And I also saw some mention of better low-light capabilities. But, resolution-wise, the current cameras can support 720p with a little cropping. Should be easy to do, but I doubt very much they'd enable it.

New "features" sell new products.

5. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

well im not carrying the screen back ..freaking heavy getting it home!!
    lol
    its fine now and ppl said it looked sharp on their end so good