$1000 budget

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nashville man, Jan 25, 2012.

1. nashville man macrumors newbie

choices for $1000 or less max. budget

a) Feb 2011 MBP entry 13" 2.3 i5, 4/320 HDD (5400)
    b) July 2011 Air 11" 1.6 i5, 4/128 SSD

Could be happy with either screen, just general usage, maybe twice a month air travel, can use either internal or external optical drive as needed (infrequently), no massive storage needs (there are always external or portables), so could probably be happy with either choice.
    Know each has its pros and cons...Votes???

What would you be happiest with a year from now when the novelty of either has worn off?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

How many years do you plan on owning this computer?

What kind of software and applications do you use frequently and infrequently?

I personally own that very mentioned MBA and love it to death. I'd take an SSD over a regular HDD any day of the week ;)

But the MBP would be better for future expansion - upgrade the RAM, upgrade the HDD to an SSD, etc.

3. nashville man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kyle. Probably would keep for 8 years, if 11" Air, would keep for travel and maybe add supplemental MBP or iMac in 3 years...if 13" Pro, then probably would supplement with iPad3-4 in 3 years...but can only afford one or the other now...

Software used is just Office at this point...likely would get into iLife since first time MAC buyer.