$1000, macbook or imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Oct 24, 2007.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

so with leopard finally coming out, i'm looking to buy a mac. now, i really love to be portable, though i don't really use my current laptop that much around the house (it kinda just stays stuck on my desktop most of the time) so i do'nt know how much i'd actually use the portability of the laptop.

I don't really do a lot, so I think the macbook or iMac would be great for me. mbp too expensive for me at the moment. But my sister has the white macbook, so I don't really want the same one. Isn't Apple rumored to be releasing new macbooks any moment now?

So can someone compare what I can get for about $1000 in Mac world. iMac or macbook? mac mini is out of equation

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

yea, definitely need a bigger hard drive, not be the whitebook. refurbished mbp's can get cheaper than $1499? idk thanks!

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

Thats what the rumor is...most ppl say November (just in time for the holiday rush)

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yes that is the rumor but i really don't think that they will be available in the 1000$ price range you are looking for...if they are im selling my macbook right now and getting a new one!

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

MacBook = more portable, more easily upgradeable HD.
    iMac = faster, much bigger HD, discrete graphics card, higher RAM capacity, much more monitor real estate.

Otherwise there's little difference.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

go for the iMac if you don't really need the laptop

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The key question to answer is how often will you use the portability of the laptop. If you like to roam around the house or around town then the laptop will be the better choice.