Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brenm666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Hi, I would like to know what is the best virtualization software on a Mac between Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion. Or, at least, what are the main differences between the two, if there's any...

Thank you!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My first recommendation is to do a search. There are hundreds of threads asking the exact same thing.

It boils down to user preference. Both offer trial versions of the software, I suggest you download both and see which one you like

soapage

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
don't do a search go straight to Parallels. Parallels does a much better job at rendering than VM and dosent crash

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
don't do a search go straight to Parallels. Parallels does a much better job at rendering than VM and dosent crash

That's only one opinion. There are many other opinions available to the OP by searching for the dozens of existing threads on this topic.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Actually Parallels crashes far more then vmware, I incurred a high volume of outright Kernel Panics and crashes with parallels none with vmare

brenm666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
ok, well thanks all... i guessed that a lot of threads already existed, but i was lazy and only did a very superficial search... :D
and thanks GGJstudios for MRoogle... i didnt know it even existed!

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
Yea, you really want to search first. Especially on this subject. There is a ton of info. Bookmark MRoogle.

But anyway, I tried the 30 day free trials for both and ended up with Parallels.
But they both operate and perform well. Try the trials.

True too, VirtualBox is free and a lot of people say it does the job. Probably without the frills.

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Both are comparable, and you won't be missing out from choosing one or the other. In general from over the years, parallels has the reputation of being a little faster with less stability, and vmware has the opposite reputation of being a little slower with more stability. Either one is fine; try the trial versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.