Parallels or VMware Fusion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brenm666, Aug 31, 2010.

1. brenm666 macrumors regular

Hi, I would like to know what is the best virtualization software on a Mac between Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion. Or, at least, what are the main differences between the two, if there's any...

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My first recommendation is to do a search. There are hundreds of threads asking the exact same thing.

It boils down to user preference. Both offer trial versions of the software, I suggest you download both and see which one you like

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. soapage macrumors member

don't do a search go straight to Parallels. Parallels does a much better job at rendering than VM and dosent crash

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's only one opinion. There are many other opinions available to the OP by searching for the dozens of existing threads on this topic.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually Parallels crashes far more then vmware, I incurred a high volume of outright Kernel Panics and crashes with parallels none with vmare

7. brenm666 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, well thanks all... i guessed that a lot of threads already existed, but i was lazy and only did a very superficial search... :D
    and thanks GGJstudios for MRoogle... i didnt know it even existed!

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

VirtualBox - free, and so far works pretty smoothly, and I'm on a C2D iMac.

9. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Yea, you really want to search first. Especially on this subject. There is a ton of info. Bookmark MRoogle.

But anyway, I tried the 30 day free trials for both and ended up with Parallels.
    But they both operate and perform well. Try the trials.

True too, VirtualBox is free and a lot of people say it does the job. Probably without the frills.

10. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Just out of curiosity, would that be on your Hackintosh or your mini?

11. circularforward macrumors 6502

Both are comparable, and you won't be missing out from choosing one or the other. In general from over the years, parallels has the reputation of being a little faster with less stability, and vmware has the opposite reputation of being a little slower with more stability. Either one is fine; try the trial versions.