1009 Cycles, 90% battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BeeJee, Dec 2, 2015.

1. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I made a post a while ago talking about my MacBook Pro with 828 cycles and having 91% battery health. Well, I have finally passed the 1000 cycle count and am at 90%. I just want to post this so the people that obsess over their battery health can stop. The one thing that you need to avoid to maintain your battery is never taking it off of the charger. Out of all the people I know, the ones with the worst health always use theirs whilst being plugged in and never letting the battery drain. My computer has been in the hot and cold weather and tossed around in my backpack for school. It's really quite simple.

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 7.02.15 PM.png

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps its my early morning eyes, and not having enough coffee this morning but these statements appear to be conflicting with each other.

I don't obsess about the battery, I have a 2012 rMBP and to be honest, I have no idea what the cycle count is. Given that the computer going on 4 years old, I fully expect to replace the battery next year or the year after. Its a consumable component and if you take that approach imo, you'll not really worry too much (at least I don't.)

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I read the same thing (after re-reading a couple of times). But I get the point - drain and recharge your battery ever so often.

My 13" MacBook Pro from November 2013 is now at 92% of its original capacity after 287 cycles. My use pattern sounds much like BeeJaa's. I use my MBP every day at school and the I recharge it when I get home. I almost never bring a charger with me.

4. xiwong macrumors member

I think that's true, but also because those that generally use their computer not plugged in aren't doing anything incredibly CPU/GPU intensive (i.e. rendering, gaming, etc.) as if you were going to do these things, you would probably be plugged in. I'm at 330 cycles with around 50% health remaining (2012 cMBP 15 purchased in mid 2013) because I use my computer for processing at night and it heats the battery up significantly (38-39C).

5. Egally08 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2013 15" That I've used at least 12 hours every day, always plugged in. I'll do some work later at night when I'm not in my office, so it's not charging. Mine has a little over 200 cycles, with 96% battery health.

6. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

the most impotent thing:
    NEVER decharge too much!
    If you recharge always or nearly always above 30-40% your battery life will last much more longer.

At least try to avoid to recharge completely (that will really attenuate life of battery) and under 10%.

That´s all about it.

I think it is good to respect that simple law existing for all nowaday-Li-Batteries in the world.

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

What's the origin of that advice?

8. nmeed macrumors regular

Ya well, I have the same exact habits as the OP, and did it on purpose that way because I read that was the way to go. I'm sitting at 92.4% health (been as low as 91.2%) with 60 cycles. It's a Macbook Pro Retina 13 early 2015, about 2-3 months old. When I got it, it's health was at 102.4%. I was actually thinking to myself I should have kept it plugged in all the time just yesterday when it hit 91.2% for the first time. So ya. At this point I'm beginning to think it's luck of the draw. If you have a crap battery, keep it plugged in 24/7 or charge/discharge it at will, and you're still going to have crap battery health. On the other hand, if you have a good battery, then well, do whatever you want, your battery health is still going to be high.

9. Alexrat1996 Suspended

i got my macbook 2015 13 inch may or june and its at 46 load cycles 98 to 97 % health is this normal

10. Alexrat1996 Suspended

yours is worse mines a little better