100mi pocket laser: what do you think?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by spaceboots06, Jul 5, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

A while ago I found this website that had high powered lasers which would be able to light matches and burn through dark materials. I recently visited it and now they have lasers which can do almost unbelievable things, such as go further than 100 miles and burn rubbers and plastics. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_II_GX-26-21.html

That's the most expensive one (I think) and apparently the beam itself is visible for +100 miles. It can also burn things and light things on fire but I'm most impressed with the distance. I live a little beyond Manhattan and it's 13 miles itself so I'm guessing on a clear, clear night someone would be able to point this from my home to Statin Island? (And apparently be able to see both the beam and the target EASILY, granted that Manhattan is 13 miles and the thing goes +100) Hmm... If I had almost $2,000 to spend I would love to try this out. If it really could go +100 miles one would be able to see it well into the thermosphere.

Just some videos for one's enjoyment.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/chart/cigarette.html
    Lighting a cigarette

http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/chart/meltplastic.html
    Burning through credit card (notice the man colored it black so it would pick up heat easily)

http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/chart/night.html
    The weakest of the lasers at night. Imagine the most expensive one doing this and being able to see it from a very, very far distance. I would be fascinated by that.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

I've had a few wicked lasers over the years. Yes, they really are that powerful. Oh, and if anyone does decide to order one, could you please use my promo code? It's 46981. Or just click the link below. Thanks. :D

http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php?refer=46981

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Please don't point these at airplanes.

Thank you.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Bad news if you do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6775100/

No average joe, and especially no one under 18, needs a laser that powerful - for anything.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you want to mount it in a van and become an arsonist it might work.

Or for punching holes in the Liquid Oxygen tower at the hospitals.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Like I said ...

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can really see one of those things from 35,000 feet above the ground? And what happens if you do?

I'm just curious, that's all, I'm not going to go shooting green lasers at planes ;)

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not a problem at altitude (if they are even visible), it's when the plane is low - takeoff or landing - that they become an issue.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I haven't ever seen a laser up that high - the one time I've seen one was at about 3000 feet. It annoyed me, although it didn't blind me, and my co-pilot wasn't affected at all. I made a report to ATC and they passed it on, but that was the end of it.

So it wasn't a big deal, but understand that even the most automated of airplanes still need the pilots to be able to see. If someone were to actually blind both pilots for a period of time during approach, it could be catastrophic.

11. cpit macrumors newbie

I bought a 5mW green laser from wickedlasers. It was really cool for a couple of days, and I was so psyched to have it, but I really don't know what to do with it now.

I mean, except for using them in presentations and stuff, what can a laser be used for? (I mean ones that aren't strong enough to burn things. The ones that can are just plain awesome). It's just sitting in my night stand now. Doing absolutely nothing.

12. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

They can cause permanent eye damage. Then after we tell ATC about it and they pass it on to the FBI, you go to jail. Shining lasers at airplanes is not cool.

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

you can do one thing. you cna give it to me for free. PM if u take this post seriously:)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. Won't stop the clowns though.
    Hopefully the feds ban these things before something potentially catastrophic happens.

15. cpit macrumors newbie

hahahah useless as it is, I don't think I could bear to give it up.

16. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I was on a cruise in middle of the Caribbean near the equator. They had an astronomer on board who got a few of us to go to the top deck one night and then had the captain turn out the lights. Then he aimed the green laser at the stars. It was like a PowePoint of the galaxies. Un-f*king-believable!!