1040X help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Apr 13, 2010.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Sooooooo I have to amend. A W2 came in a little too late (last week) and I had already filed. So, I'm amending.

I already filled out a new 1040 and I'm now on the 1040X. On the column for "Correct Amount" (lines 1-31) I'm assuming I just put the items from the corrected 1040 right? I ran into a snag on #11 where is says "Federal income tax withheld and excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld (if changing, see page 8 of instructions)" what do they mean if changing?

I looked up page 8 and the amendments list 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. I was under the impression that on amendments you can ONLY use the 1040. If so, why tell you which lines are used on the A and EZ forms? My original income tax for '09 was filled out on a 1040A. Do I need to compute anything extra? It doesn't say to...

On line 17 it says "Overpayment, if any, as shown on original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS (see page 9 of instructions)" is this where I put my original overpayment? (on my original 1040A it said I owed $25 to the IRS, and my new amendment says I should have gotten $80. SO I know I should be getting $105 back, including that overpayment that needs correcting) It was around there I gave up and came here to seek advise.

Any takers?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Never had to amend a return before...and I would suggest seeking the help of a pro rather than depending on some iffy advice from people online (especially on a non-IRS/non-tax board).

You have already filed, so there is no rush to file your amended return (I think you have a few years to amend a return). You don't owe the IRS any money, so there is not going to be a penalty or interest. The only impetus is getting a check from them. :)

That being said...and just from reading your info here I would saying the 'if changed' refers to a situation where the value you are providing them now is different than the previous filing.

And "Overpayment, if any, as shown on original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS (see page 9 of instructions)" seems to be clear enough...as it refers to what was on your original return. The 'previously adjusted by the IRS' refers to situations where the IRS says you made an error and fixes your return for you...it's like a mini-audit. I have had that happen to me in the past. This, of course, is worded like this because usually admended returns are filled many months after the fact, by which time the IRS would have sent you any adjustments they would have to make.

Aside: Did you just forget about the other job? Was this W2 a surprise? Seems like it , if you already filed.

Then again, it seems like it was enough to change your tax situation by 100 bucks (at a 25% tax rate as an example, that would be the amount you paid on $400, but since it's an overpayment it's either on a fairly noticeable sum of money or that particular job really overtaxed you. Odd that you'd forget about it. :(

Lastly...have you tried an online service like turbotax? They walk you through any and all forms and make it pretty foolproof and easy. Plus, some of the filings/forms are free.

3. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Apparently it was severance pay. I got laid off December 08 on the fifth, and I assumed it was already taken care of. I started unemployment around Jan, and I guess the direct deposits just overlapped.