Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Okay, had a few questions for the experts....

1. Can I take a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G to Apple Store for repair?
2. The bottom part of the SIM Card Tray broke off inside the phone and the SIM tray doesn't close anymore. The phone is only a week old. Will it be covered? Can apple store fix it for me?
3. Can I ask them to not turn the phone on? Password protect the phone?

Anything else I should be aware of?

is300guy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
Okay, had a few questions for the experts....

1. Can I take a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G to Apple Store for repair?
2. The bottom part of the SIM Card Tray broke off inside the phone and the SIM tray doesn't close anymore. The phone is only a week old. Will it be covered? Can apple store fix it for me?
3. Can I ask them to not turn the phone on? Password protect the phone?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Your screen name fits you perfectly....lol! With that said, to answer your questions on 1, 2, and 3....."NO." Apple will NOT warranty your iPhone cause it is JB. Even though it is legal to JB your iPhone(s), Apple does not condone this so JB will VOID your warranty because it is JB and unlocked. My advice is to restore it back to factory settings if you're experiencing any issues and re-JB and unlock it afterwards. I haven't read up on the "unlock" so if you have an outside carrier and need to unlock, make sure that there is a current JB to unlock your iPhone before doing so or else you'll be stuck with an unlockable baseband and that means no phone calling for you. Hope this was a bit helpful...others on the forum may chime in but may flame you for such questions....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is your iphone still under warranty?
Cause if its not they wont replace it.
And if they do replace it they will give you a new iphone 3G anyway so you should bring it in restored to stock firmware anyway not to risk voiding your warranty.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah the phone is still under warranty.

I just bought it a week ago. Didn't want to return it cause i got a very good price for it.

If i let iTunes restore the phone, will that mess things up?

How do i restore without updating the baseband??

Sorry, yes, i'm new to all this and am not very knowledgable about the whole jailbreak and unlock process.

Thank you for all your help!!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
you got a 3G a week ago from the Apple store???? :confused:

No, not from an Apple store. Got it from a local best buy who was clearing them out and gave me a good price for it. That's why I would rather fix it instead of returning it.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
just restore it and bring it in...even it they replace it, your baseband will change...new phone!!! :) so what you do software wise doesn't make one lick of difference (meaning update wise, not jailbreak).

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
just restore it and bring it in...even it they replace it, your baseband will change...new phone!!! :) so what you do software wise doesn't make one lick of difference (meaning update wise, not jailbreak).

Well what if they don't give me a new phone and just fix the one i take in? I don't want to update the baseband on it.

Is there any way of restoring the phone without updating the baseband??

If I do take a 3G in and they don't have any more 3G phones in stock, do they replace it with a 3Gs?? (That is if they say they will replace it.)
Or will they just tell me to return it?

BTW, do they ask for a receipt to verify when the phone was purchased?

I never activated the phone, just jailbroke it and unlocked it right away. Will that cause any issues?

GodlyDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
If you are that worried about it just get a new SIM tray and fix it yourself. They are extremely cheap and opening your Phone isnt hard at all.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
If you are that worried about it just get a new SIM tray and fix it yourself. They are extremely cheap and opening your Phone isnt hard at all.

I agree that this may be your best option given all your stated fears and uncertainty above. Would be a good learning exercise too!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I agree that this may be your best option given all your stated fears and uncertainty above. Would be a good learning exercise too!

Umm, only if I was that brave.

I did order a sim tray cause i thought it was just a matter of putting in a new one. (Didn't know a piece got stuck inside). But when i tried closing it with a sim card in the tray, it wouldn't close completely. Hence my issue.

I will have to look up on how to open the phone. Didn't think it was that easy though.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I would think that would be a good thing!

I just hope they don't tell me to take it back to Best Buy and return it...

I can hang on to it for over a month and then take it to the Apple Store. Will be taking a chance that's for sure!

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Wont that be a good thing?? I doubt they have any 3G phones in stock anymore. Will they just give me a 3Gs?

I believe most stores do still have some 3G iPhones in stock at the Genius Bar for swap-out repairs, believe it or not! Still, a fresh, working 3G like what you had is a good thing, right?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I believe most stores do still have some 3G iPhones in stock at the Genius Bar for swap-out repairs, believe it or not! Still, a fresh, working 3G like what you had is a good thing, right?

LOL, yeah
a WORKING 3G would be good.... The ones they have at the Genius Bar, are they refurbished or new?

funkyg

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Wont that be a good thing?? I doubt they have any 3G phones in stock anymore. Will they just give me a 3Gs?
Nah, as has been mentioned you get like for like.
If they don't have stock they will order one for you, this happened to me when I took my 32GB 3GS to the Apple store. They had no stock so had to order one. This was just after the iPhone 4 release and they were MEGA busy!

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
No, they will not give you a 3GS or i4.
You will get a refurb iphone 3G, they have plenty in stock.
And if it comes with 4.1 preinstalled you'd be sol.

2 days back i went in to apple store with a iphone 4 (4.0.1 no jb) with a bad camera ... they gave a new/refurb phone and it had 4.0.2 installed on it ! .. so its really his luck what he gets .. if they had it in stock before 4.1 came out ..its not like they will upgrade every phone to 4.1 before giving it out

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
i went in to 2 days back apple store with a iphone 4 (4.0.1 no jb) with a bad camera ... they gave a new/refurb phone and it had 4.0.2 installed on it ! .. so its really his luck what he gets .. if they had it in stock before 4.1 came out ..its not like they will upgrade every phone to 4.1 before giving it out

Yep, gotta be lucky.
I got a refurb/replacement 3GS a few weeks ago and it also came with 4.0.2 and was able to maintain its unlockable baseband using pwnage tool:)

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I just hope they don't tell me to take it back to Best Buy and return it...
Why not take it back to BB? Do they not have any more in stock? They are way too stupid to recognize a JB phone (unless you have some wild theme in place).

Also, I would be afraid that Apple would want to activate the replacement before they let you leave.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
Why not take it back to BB? Do they not have any more in stock? They are way too stupid to recognize a JB phone (unless you have some wild theme in place).

Also, I would be afraid that Apple would want to activate the replacement before they let you leave.

why not BB guy not know its jailbroken ? how hard is it to spot cydia?

you dont have to activate replacment at apple store....only if you want to

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, Best Buy doesn't have any more 3G. That's why I got a really good deal on this one. It was the last unit they had.

I can understand them ordering 3Gs, since apple is still selling them everywhere. I presume Apple is still making 3Gs phones, but 3G has been discountinued. No?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, Best Buy doesn't have any more 3G. That's why I got a really good deal on this one. It was the last unit they had.

I can understand them ordering 3Gs, since apple is still selling them everywhere. I presume Apple is still making 3Gs phones, but 3G has been discountinued. No?

All warranty work/replacements are done thru Apple.
Thats what bestbuy will tell you if you go there.
And Apple has plenty of refurb iphone 3G models in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.