Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchaplin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I have an iPhone 4 and am strongly considering buying the MB Air 11.6in. I'd like to get an external battery that I could use for long flights, that in a pinch, could be used with either the iPhone or the MBA. I'd appreciate any brand recommendations, if you have something that has worked for you on a previous computer.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
External Charger

I forgot that Hypermac had to stop selling those due to Apple's complaint. Maybe you can find one on Ebay someone is selling.

bchaplin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks!
I looked at their web site, and that is certainly what I'd like to buy. Fortunately there's no rush, I can wait a month or so.
Beth

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
If it's for long flights only, why not get a 12v charger for the macbook? And then charge your iPhone from the USB port on the Air.

bchaplin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
If it's for long flights only, why not get a 12v charger for the macbook? And then charge your iPhone from the USB port on the Air.

Thanks for the idea! Actually I need it for a number of situations, including layovers (where outlets are not always convenient), on public transportation, when I'm in a third world country and there is a power outage, etc... I like the battery idea a lot. I'll just wait and see when HyperMac (or whatever name they change to) offers the product again.

MacKeeper-fan

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Lol if i would of known about these questions I would of posted this a long time ago, I too, was looking for a way to externally power my MB, had bought one of these and it works like a charm! Have had it for a year now and it's still going. Only tried it on a MB, but it's made for MBP as well. All of you may have found one, but incase you haven't check out the link. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210980389&listingid=41335400

jnachbar

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
Any more ideas out there besides hypermac? It doesn't look like they have a solution for the MBA any longer.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
Anybody Tried This?

It looks like Hypermac addressed the whole proprietary magsafe connection issue by going with a connection through apple's magsafe airline adaptor. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts??

MBP-Lineup-Auto-Airline-Adapter.jpg

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
It looks like Hypermac addressed the whole proprietary magsafe connection issue by going with a connection through apple's magsafe airline adaptor. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts??

Be aware that this scheme POWERS but does not CHARGE a MBA. The Magsafe tip in the Airline Adapter lacks the normal charging chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.