External battery or charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bchaplin, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bchaplin macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and am strongly considering buying the MB Air 11.6in. I'd like to get an external battery that I could use for long flights, that in a pinch, could be used with either the iPhone or the MBA. I'd appreciate any brand recommendations, if you have something that has worked for you on a previous computer.

2. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

External Charger

Hypermac. I have one and it works on MBA, Ipad and Iphone.

3. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

External Charger

I forgot that Hypermac had to stop selling those due to Apple's complaint. Maybe you can find one on Ebay someone is selling.

4. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I looked at their web site, and that is certainly what I'd like to buy. Fortunately there's no rush, I can wait a month or so.
    Beth

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

If it's for long flights only, why not get a 12v charger for the macbook? And then charge your iPhone from the USB port on the Air.

6. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the idea! Actually I need it for a number of situations, including layovers (where outlets are not always convenient), on public transportation, when I'm in a third world country and there is a power outage, etc... I like the battery idea a lot. I'll just wait and see when HyperMac (or whatever name they change to) offers the product again.

7. MacKeeper-fan macrumors member

MacKeeper-fan

Lol if i would of known about these questions I would of posted this a long time ago, I too, was looking for a way to externally power my MB, had bought one of these and it works like a charm! Have had it for a year now and it's still going. Only tried it on a MB, but it's made for MBP as well. All of you may have found one, but incase you haven't check out the link. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210980389&listingid=41335400

8. jnachbar macrumors member

Any more ideas out there besides hypermac? It doesn't look like they have a solution for the MBA any longer.

9. jnachbar macrumors member

Anybody Tried This?

It looks like Hypermac addressed the whole proprietary magsafe connection issue by going with a connection through apple's magsafe airline adaptor. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts??

[​IMG]

10. audio_inside macrumors regular

Be aware that this scheme POWERS but does not CHARGE a MBA. The Magsafe tip in the Airline Adapter lacks the normal charging chip.