Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Dayton
FkpKKrqQlYsgNBq6.medium

Credits go to iFixit for the picture

Just thought I'd post this picture.

OD is just about as big as the logic board, ditch it and we can see some powerful stuff.

Or Steve could just ditch the logic board, and we can have another optical drive. :p

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Don't know why you couldn't add onto the other thread(s) about this.
Remove it and put in an optibay.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I mean I've had my MBP for about 2 years now, and I have used the optical drive maybe 5 times ...

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
To all people saying "just install another hard drive", most people don't need or want another hard drive. Who wants more than 1TB in a laptop?

Wouldn't it be better to see some serious increase in power and battery life? I mean, there is room in there for another computer for gods sakes! The optical drive isn't worth it when instead the MBP 13" could become seriously powerful.

TheBaconKing

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
To all people saying "just install another hard drive", most people don't need or want another hard drive. Who wants more than 1TB in a laptop?

Wouldn't it be better to see some serious increase in power and battery life? I mean, there is room in there for another computer for gods sakes! The optical drive isn't worth it when instead the MBP 13" could become seriously powerful.

I use 2 drives to speed up my computer..

the SSD to for boot and applications
and the 640 HDD for the user directory (basically everything else)

With that my boot time averages 15 seconds, sometimes more and sometimes less.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IMO I'd rather see extended battery/faster gpu/cpu than another drive

Well you may get your wish. If apple applies the changes to the MBA to the MBP line you may see the disappearance of the optical drive.

Personally, while I may not use the optical drive very much, but there have been circumstances to when I do need it. So I'll probably not go the optibay route at this stage. Maybe next year, I'll take the plunge and get a usb dvd drive for those rare times I do need it and slap another SSD into the drive bay.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008

agree with this. if the current 13" mbp had an i5 with separate graphics card i'd have had one by now. sticking with my mb till they do.

of course now that the mba has the higher res screen - thats been added to my 13" mbp minimum spec too:D

appreciate it might be a long wait

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
if the optical drive is removed what will people do who burn home movies, etc?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Sucks that those mini-cd's never got huge ... those things are like a 1/3 of the size of regular cd's

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
Thats why you remove it and install a second Hard Drive

yeah, but a hard drive is still significantly smaller than the optical drive. i don't know about you, but personally, i'd like to not have ANY wasted space in a laptop that i pay $3k for.

we could have two hard drives AND extra battery or CPU/GPU power if apple removed the ODs.

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

The same people who wanted more than 640 Kilobytes of RAM in their desktop computer.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
He maybe referring to the poster who said to put a SSD in the main bay for fast boot/app opening times, and another drive in the opti bay.

I too had a 500gb drive in my optibay, it fits my usage very well. I too never turn off my computer, I sleep it when I get on a flight or anywhere else.
I also never shutdown my MPB. I can imagine the focus on boot time given the Steve Jobs message, but the real value of the SSD is fast application launch, file opening, searches and virtual memory.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you here. It's just that as Apple has not (yet) removed the od, you might as well sort it as best you can yourself now with the Optibay, or OWC's Data Doubler.

The second drive option is not all about capacity, but rather flexibility. And yes, there still is A LOT of wasted space, even with the bulky bracket and second HDD, so yes plenty of room for extra battery gpu etc.

I personally think we'll get SSD standard on all MBPs on the next revision. Actually 'flash' chips ala MBA so it too can be thinner and lighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.