Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
I post a reply on "why Apple is so behind" and it was deleted later on in the day after I was checking the replies. It is not the first time that happens to me, this is about the 6th time I post something and it gets deleted. Back in October and November was happening very often, in December I didn't post anything because I was in vacation but now is happening again.

I have been in this forums for about 3 years now and I know very well how this thing works but this is happening very often, I thought I was missing the posts and that I was just distracted or something but I am checking over and over and my answers disappear just like that every once in a while.
The only explanation I can find is that a moderator is deleting my posts.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sure you don't want to do this with a PM to a couple of the mods?

These threads usually turn ugly. :eek:

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
The last one that got deleted was actually repeating what my signature says. I was mentioning I got a dual 2.0 and that it was only 30% faster than my 12" Powerbook 1Ghz. And the rest of the posts that have been deleted were just silly coments.

If I had me some rude coment I understand but no of that and usually I receive a private message telling me something and going over the topic. Actually we had in the past very heavy topics that have been on-line with no problem.

I think there should be a "protocol" when deleting a post but now that I am writting this I remember there was actually a Moderator who once (because I have been over this topic before) told me he was the one and actually he did it because he felt like it because he never gave any realistic or practical explanation of the issue. I guess he forgot about it and kept doing it. I would have to check my history of threads then to find out who he was.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
There's really no need for this to be public. A PM to the mods would have been a better idea :rolleyes:

Posts aren't deleted for nothing, so a few posts have been deleted. Big deal.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
edesignuk said:
There's really no need for this to be public. A PM to the mods would have been a better idea :rolleyes:

I see your point, as well as mymemory's point as well.

I think this is the right place perhaps for the discussion. We are not just talking about posting an image in response to a thread. In some cases we are talking about serious thought and time that goes in to a response.

For those that have been around a while, we would like to think we know the rules. Maybe some of the postings cross the line. In the end an open discussion is best to make sure that MR remains the friendly place that many expect from our experiences.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:
I think this is the right place perhaps for the discussion. We are not just talking about posting an image in response to a thread. In some cases we are talking about serious thought and time that goes in to a response.
Thanks for that little dig :rolleyes: Just because time and effort is put in to a post doesn't mean it's actually any good and isn't grossly offensive (not saying any were, I have no idea, just saying...)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Geez, my posts have been deleted before... big deal. Usually it is when it goes off topic and after the discussion has ended it is taken out.
I don't care my posts don't have to stay for the eternity to see... or are you running around with a tape recorder to tape everything you say?

I have yet to see posts of me that are appropriate posts that are on topic to be deleted. I cannot judge your post since it is gone but judging by what you sometimes say... it might be for a reason.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
edesignuk said:
Thanks for that little dig :rolleyes: Just because time and effort is put in to a post doesn't mean it's actually any good and isn't grossly offensive (not saying any were, I have no idea, just saying...)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to dig at you personally. In fact I find it entertaining to a point.

As to your other point, it is about respect I think.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:
As to your other point, it is about respect I think.
Yes, but, you have read mymemorys posts right? Sometimes I cannot quite believe what I'm reading :eek: We all get posts deleted (well I know I do sometimes), of all people I'm really not surprised in the slightest that mymemory gets a few posts deleted from time to time.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
edesignuk said:
Yes, but, you have read mymemorys posts right? Sometimes I cannot quite believe what I'm reading :eek: We all get posts deleted (well I know I do sometimes), of all people I'm really not surprised in the slightest that mymemory gets a few posts deleted from time to time.

Agreed. Sometimes I read the posts and find it the most incoherent drivel I've ever read that has flawed logic to the point that isn't even worth the time of arguing.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
edesignuk said:

Well... I think we have found the subject who is affraid to go over this topic in public and who think is not a big deal to go over some one elses post just because he felt like it.

So, I would sugest, at list in my case because I do think is a BIG DEAL, to be notify of the issue when my post is deleted.

Sometimes I do like to pick on some one but other times I just feel some answers goes over some peoples head. Moderators are not perfect machines, are humans and obviously some can be more mistaken than others. Call my attention that edesignuk is the only one how feel agravated by the issue "There's really no need for this to be public".

Again, the last post that was deleted was about me telling the G5 was not fast enough (read my signature) and it was deleted. That shows a lack of principals and is actually making Macrumors other than pacefully place just because there are not rules. If I had the answer of 5 moderators I would say there is at list some sort of profile but I think we have found the one who is acting by his own rules.

So, edesignuk, if you are going to delete something I wrote take the time to PM me (because looks like you feel good using them) and tell me about it next time. Those are called manners just to let you now.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
mymemory said:
So, edesignuk, if you are going to delete something I wrote take the time to PM me (because looks like you feel good using them) and tell me about it next time. Those are called manners just to let you now.

N.B., EdesignUK isn't a mod.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mymemory said:
LMFAO! Does it say Moderator under my name??? Read! Sheesh, and you wonder why stuff you post gets deleted.

edit: Just thought about it and I suppose I better make my point clear as day to you so as you understand. I am not a mod or admin, I have no control over these forums, I cannot delete anything, and I (obvioulsy) haven't deleted anything you have posted due to the fact I can't! (though I would do if I had half the chance!!!) :p

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
edesignuk said:
LMFAO! Does it say Moderator under my name??? Read! Sheesh, and you wonder why stuff you post gets deleted.

edit: Just thought about it and I suppose I better make my point clear as day to you so as you understand. I am not a mod or admin, I have no control over these forums, I cannot delete anything, and I (obvioulsy) haven't deleted anything you have posted due to the fact I can't! (though I would do if I had half the chance!!!) :p
Down boy! Back in your cage! :D :D :D

Seriously, I totally agree. Some folks choose not to read the entire post before replying and end up missinterpreting what was said. Unfortunately, this seems to happen far too often.

P.S. Please don't delete my post since, according to mymemory, you are a moderator! :eek: ;) :D

Sushi

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
sushi said:
Down boy! Back in your cage! :D :D :D

Seriously, I totally agree. Some folks choose not to read the entire post before replying and end up missinterpreting what was said. Unfortunately, this seems to happen far too often.

P.S. Please don't delete my post since, according to mymemory, you are a moderator! :eek: ;) :D

Sushi
That's it, I am banning you! :D :p

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Mymemory, I wonder if the reason your post was deleted was because it was the same as your .sig. If you can't think of something new to say, you probably don't need to say it.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
mymemory said:
I have been in this forums for about 3 years now and I know very well how this thing works but this is happening very often, I thought I was missing the posts and that I was just distracted or something but I am checking over and over and my answers disappear just like that every once in a while.
The only explanation I can find is that a moderator is deleting my posts.

In my time here I have had two posts deleted. No surprise though, given that one was the equivalent of a small knife in the politcal backside, and the other was blatantly off topic. So what can I say, usually if something gets deleted, there was a good reason, and would rather that my posts be deleted than me. :eek:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Maybe if Mods emailed regular users whose posts get delated then it would be sorted out offline and come as no surprise to newer posters...but this may have overheads that are too high...

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
edesignuk said:
It really is a wonder that your posts (and maybe even threads!) get deleted isn't it!?

Awful thread, one of the worst ive ever seen infact. Though i must admit, its sheer cruddiness had me laughing for a while.

I had a message of mine edited for being "obscene". It was about where the best place was to fit an ipod-shuffle, if it vibrated.

Oh well. My point is if you dont like it here then just find another forum. Thats my opinion.

I notice your avatar edesign, for a bloke from essex you have quite an eye for beauty. Who would have thought it eh. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.