Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
I am going MAD! i have the money ( ive been saving up ) and i want to get a 13" MBP.. but i just want to know if they new one will have BIG changes..

i cant last it anymore...!! but if i buy it i might regret it...

please put yourself in my postiton :p

thanks,
fred.

Last edited:

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Buy it!

You want it now, you can have it now. There's always going to be something better down the road but (in terms of roadside restaurants) its never going to be a three star Michelin rezzie worth starving yourself over. Good luck in deciding!

articcine

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2010
Lillehammer, Norway
I have the same problem as you. I have the money, and I do really really want to buy it now! But I'm going to wait for an upgrade as I don't need it straight away. Buy it now if you need it now, or wait.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
I have the same problem as you. I have the money, and I do really really want to buy it now! But I'm going to wait for an upgrade as I don't need it straight away. Buy it now if you need it now, or wait.

i am going to admit.. i dont realy needed.. BUT.. i want it so badly..

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
is it gonna take very long after they annouce.. until they start shipping.. ect..? is it usualy very long?

Nobody know when it will be announced even, could be months from now. Nobody knows even whether it'll stick with the C2D processor or change (and if it does whether it'll have as good a GPU). I think Nietzsche it was in Beyond Good and Evil who said "it is better to believe in a uncertain something, than in a certain nothing- for in that way nihilism lies). lol.

Good luck in deciding (and there's always the dice:))

veryape

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
I'm hoping that at the very least it has an increase in screen resolution. Coming from a 15" mbp I don't think I can go down to a 13" otherwise.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
I got mine today and I'm enjoying it currently. This is my first post from my new UMBP!

awsome! is this ur first MBP?

Nobody know when it will be announced even, could be months from now. Nobody knows even whether it'll stick with the C2D processor or change (and if it does whether it'll have as good a GPU). I think Nietzsche it was in Beyond Good and Evil who said "it is better to believe in a uncertain something, than in a certain nothing- for in that way nihilism lies). lol.

Good luck in deciding (and there's always the dice:))

lool! ;) k thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I'm looking to get one in a few months. With the latest macbook air refresh. I wouldn't be surprised if the 13" gets higher res screen, built in flash HD(option). Those 2 things would warrant the wait IMO.

When I do get one I'm getting it from Amazon

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Intel stop making the core 2 duo so apple will be forced to change the processors to something else.

It's likely they will adopt the next gen of corei processors (sandy bridge) but these generate more heat and will make the laptop much hotter. Not a deal breaker for some but the current c2d runs very cool as it's a mature processor.

I'm going to wait for the 2012 refresh for this very reason as the tdp is supposed to come back down to curreent levels in that refresh.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
Intel stop making the core 2 duo so apple will be forced to change the processors to something else.

It's likely they will adopt the next gen of corei processors (sandy bridge) but these generate more heat and will make the laptop much hotter. Not a deal breaker for some but the current c2d runs very cool as it's a mature processor.

I'm going to wait for the 2012 refresh for this very reason as the tdp is supposed to come back down to curreent levels in that refresh.

But Sandy bridge hasnt come out yet.. so i doubt that this will be the change now at the begining of 2011... maybe an i3..

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
But Sandy bridge hasnt come out yet.. so i doubt that this will be the change now at the begining of 2011... maybe an i3..

SB is indeed "out" for all practical purposes. It only needs the the hoop-la of CES in a few weeks to make it official.

Apple should have plenty of time for a spring upgrade if they chose to use it. (i.e., Intel won't be the ones holding them back).

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
SB is indeed "out" for all practical purposes. It only needs the the hoop-la of CES in a few weeks to make it official.

Apple should have plenty of time for a spring upgrade if they chose to use it. (i.e., Intel won't be the ones holding them back).

oh, so.. spring.. so i can get 1 now.. and most likley a new one will only come out in spring... thats long.. ;)

EDIT: do u know if the C2D makes the computer slower?

Last edited:

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
For some things the C2D is faster than the i3 (MRoogle should fetch a thread from last week which went into it- can' remember it right now though.)

Also with C2D you've got the benefit of optimised technology which has had any bugs/glitches ironed out. From what I gather the introduction of lightpeak will be far more significant- don't think I'll trouble myself with thoughts of upgrading till then anyway...

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
For some things the C2D is faster than the i3 (MRoogle should fetch a thread from last week which went into it- can' remember it right now though.)

Also with C2D you've got the benefit of optimised technology which has had any bugs/glitches ironed out. From what I gather the introduction of lightpeak will be far more significant- don't think I'll trouble myself with thoughts of upgrading till then anyway...

so, are you saying i should wait or not?

Kildeer

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
If you have to ask that question, you don't really need it.
I agree. I think really one should ask himself what really lies in the word 'need'. Do you need one now because your old one got stolen, broken or something. Or do you need it because you're really just tired of your old one and want a breath of fresh air. :)

I have a 2007 Macbook right now with Leopard and 1GB of RAM and it's starting to perform slower and I'm torn between buying a MBP now or wait to see the next ones specs, but I think Apple will release the specs before they go in the stores, giving me a little time to decide.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Up to you...really can't say.

Its tricky, I'm in the opposite situation right now; I want something going for a very good price second hand (a Portuguese R8 camera, if you're interested btw) but know I'll not be able to use it for a couple of weeks yet. I don't need it right now, and probably could wait and do a bit more research &c., look for what might come up- but I tend not to torture myself; and when you're downloading PDF instruction manuals 'just to have a look' you probably know what you're going to do anyway:D

Hey, tricky one- whichever you go for they'e brilliant machines, best of luck:)

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
I agree. I think really one should ask himself what really lies in the word 'need'. Do you need one now because your old one got stolen, broken or something. Or do you need it because you're really just tired of your old one and want a breath of fresh air. :)

I have a 2007 Macbook right now with Leopard and 1GB of RAM and it's starting to perform slower and I'm torn between buying a MBP now or wait to see the next ones specs, but I think Apple will release the specs before they go in the stores, giving me a little time to decide.

lol, i neva had a mac.. so i want 1.. and yea i need a breath of fresh air.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
Up to you...really can't say.

Its tricky, I'm in the opposite situation right now; I want something going for a very good price second hand (a Leica made in your neck of the woods, if you're interested btw) but know I'll not be able to use it for a couple of weeks yet. I don't need it right now, and probably could wait and do a bit more research &c., look for what might come up- but I tend not to torture myself; and when you're downloading PDF instruction manuals 'just to have a look' you probably know what you're going to do anyway:D

Hey, tricky one- whichever you go for they'e brilliant machines, best of luck:)

thanks for ur help bro.! ;)

Last edited:

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
thanks for ur help bro.! ;)

For what it's worth, I've just bought my MacBook Pro 13" and I really like it. It's an amazing machine and I'm so glad I went with it. Whether I'll be saying that when the new models are released, I don't know, but the thing is I NEEDED a laptop sooner rather than later. (Old MacBook broke, and was left with my Desktop but obviously I couldn't take that anywhere with me like I could a laptop.)

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003

If you add RAM to your Macbook it will likely be much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.