Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Deciding on when to pull the trigger on a MBP is more difficult then............

If you were thinking 15 or 17, I would say dive in head first...

From an economical standpoint, since the 13 inch MBP had the least amount of changes in its last revision, it will get the most amount of of revisions in this current change.

From a buyer's standpoint, you may not like these changes as much as the current design.

From a probability standpoint, Apple likes to differentiate the 15/17 as the 'pro' line of the MacBook Pro, and so I would not expect to see an i7 in a 13 anytime soon

From my standpoint, the current 13 inch MBP is fast, especially with a SSD. For most users, including myself, you are going to be delighted with it and may not even utilize a more powerful system. For some users however, you are going to get your money's worth if you go for a MBP with more capability (and hence higher pricing). If the 13 inch comes out with a i3 processor, then I will take the Core 2 Duo (all other things alike).

Probably the bottom line though is that no one knows what the heck is going to happen and so I would hold off on a 13 to at least see what is coming; then you can always buy the current but you won't look back and think 'crap, I wish I waited 11 days...'

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
If you were thinking 15 or 17, I would say dive in head first...

From an economical standpoint, since the 13 inch MBP had the least amount of changes in its last revision, it will get the most amount of of revisions in this current change.

From a buyer's standpoint, you may not like these changes as much as the current design.

From a probability standpoint, Apple likes to differentiate the 15/17 as the 'pro' line of the MacBook Pro, and so I would not expect to see an i7 in a 13 anytime soon

From my standpoint, the current 13 inch MBP is fast, especially with a SSD. For most users, including myself, you are going to be delighted with it and may not even utilize a more powerful system. For some users however, you are going to get your money's worth if you go for a MBP with more capability (and hence higher pricing). If the 13 inch comes out with a i3 processor, then I will take the Core 2 Duo (all other things alike).

Probably the bottom line though is that no one knows what the heck is going to happen and so I would hold off on a 13 to at least see what is coming; then you can always buy the current but you won't look back and think 'crap, I wish I waited 11 days...'

i think i have made my dicision... 2moz.. iam going to the apple store.. and iam gonna get myself 1 ;)

Thanks.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Congratulations! Let us know how you get on- bet you knew what you were going to do all the time anyway;)

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Holy crap your desktop is a BEAST. If you have something like that, buy the 13 now. It really doesn't matter what changes occur as its going to be ages slower than your desktop which you can do your intense work on.

You will really like the current 13, I have the generation before the current one (2.53GHz C2D) and I don't regret it at all. With the SSD I have, it is faster than almost every laptop in its class.

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
Holy crap your desktop is a BEAST. If you have something like that, buy the 13 now. It really doesn't matter what changes occur as its going to be ages slower than your desktop which you can do your intense work on.

You will really like the current 13, I have the generation before the current one (2.53GHz C2D) and I don't regret it at all. With the SSD I have, it is faster than almost every laptop in its class.

ahahah! :p thanks bro. i will enjoy it.. the other option was to upgrade to an i7 but its not worth it.. i am gonna be happier with a Mac ;)

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Yeah an i7 kills the Core 2 Duo but I doubt the current i7 Extreme is faster than the Core2Quad that you are using. If you have access to a capable desktop, then by all means go for maximum mobility in a laptop.:D

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
My suggestion would be to wait if you don't need it now. Theres no telling if the 13's will be stuck with a C2D or jump up to an i3 but the difference is significant which is worth the wait.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Glad to hear you are enjoying it! They are GREAT notebooks. Welcome to the Mac cult :D

LSC

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
I'm in the same position... i really want a macbook pro..... im just going to wait and see if anything is annonced at the CES and if not im going to get one..

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I'm getting mine on Friday, if Apple release an updated version by then I'll buy the updated version, if they don't then I'll have the current version.

I think the words "current version" are key really. They are the current ones out, so therefor they arn't old, if it was a previouse version you were buying then waiting is a fair point.
However while everyone is waiting without a MBP for the "next" version, I will actually have the current version and will acutally be able to use it instead of thinking about having one before I go to bed at night. it's no good looking in through the window, come in and join in with all the fun.

Kildeer

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
I'm getting mine on Friday, if Apple release an updated version by then I'll buy the updated version, if they don't then I'll have the current version.

I think the words "current version" are key really. They are the current ones out, so therefor they arn't old, if it was a previouse version you were buying then waiting is a fair point.
However while everyone is waiting without a MBP for the "next" version, I will actually have the current version and will acutally be able to use it instead of thinking about having one before I go to bed at night. it's no good looking in through the window, come in and join in with all the fun.

I think it's fair that people wait if they have a perfectly functioning Mac right now. It's been 259 days since the last update to the MBP as of today, so my and probably a lot of other people's guesses are, that Apple will release a new version just around the corner. You should also bear in mind that some people might be waiting because they need the MBP to run a particular piece of software - I for one need my next laptop to be able to run SC2 and Diablo 3 and Diablo 3's system requirements haven't been released yet. :)

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
i really hope they they update the design of it, and possibly add a new port (remove the displayport and replace with hdmi)

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
What a waste of money!
Exactly how will it be a waste of money?

I plan on using my computer, I will at the time of purchase have a current model. The next generation may not be out for months.

By your logic that would mean that the TV you have is a waste of money since no doubt less then a week after you bought it, it wouldn't be on sale anymore. Or that shirt your wearing right now is a waste of time because by the time the next season (no more then 3 months away) it would be outdated.

No the answer to all these is that at the time your purchased your TV, and clothes you needed them and liked them at the time and they were what was currently on offer. The MBP is no different, so stop being a geek and lay off the rest of us you don't live for the next "big thing".

Kildeer

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Because Apple most likely will update it soon, maybe with a new processor and GPU. Ideally one should buy new products in the first few months they're out but I see where you're coming from, cause it'll only be a few months and then the next version will be out. I just can't wrap my mind to your mindset, why not wait a little longer and then get the newest model?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Because Apple most likely will update it soon, maybe with a new processor and GPU. Ideally one should buy new products in the first few months they're out but I see where you're coming from, cause it'll only be a few months and then the next version will be out. I just can't wrap my mind to your mindset, why not wait a little longer and then get the newest model?

You are assuming that the everyone is going to like the next model more than the current model. While that is probably true, there is no guarantee. You are also assuming that the price on the new model isn't going to go up. I am not saying that will be the case either, but we don't know.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
It's obvious that next model will be not a minor update, but a significant one. When usually apple passes on typical product update time, they are preparing for major update. Expect MBP to be updated in next WWDC 2011 with new MAC OS lion to be included.

MBP will have the biggest updates in apple line up next year.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010

".

It's a waste of money because you will spend (using Gbp as I'm in the uk) assuming you buy the cheapest mbp that's £999. Then say in march or April the new models are out and you buy the cheapest mbp again. That's £2000 on 2 Mbps.

What will you be able to do with the next gen model that you can't do with the current one that justifies spending another £999?

Yin

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
It's obvious that next model will be not a minor update, but a significant one. When usually apple passes on typical product update time, they are preparing for major update. Expect MBP to be updated in next WWDC 2011 with new MAC OS lion to be included.

i agree with you on the part that this update will be a major one. but this is purely speculation. apple does not prepare for major updates by passing its typical product update time as there is no such thing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Actually I would predict the Mac Pro to get the biggest update next year with a totally new case design seeing as the current one is several years old. Or the Mac Pro will be scrapped entirely from the range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.