Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keita 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Just finished updating the patch. I do not believe apple made much if any changes to the 4870 drivers. So all I had to do was allow the old patch to install under 10.6.6.

Once again, if you are not able to get your 4890 operating with netkas patch try combining it with this one to see if you can get everything back to normal. Just install this one before you install netkas.

Here it is.

Good luck. And please feel free to post successes or issues.

Last edited:

ikari2002

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Hi thanks for the patch. This has worked with my 4890 card to get opengl acceleration working. I had to use the zues 10.6.3 patch also after this patch. My frame rates are a bit slower though than before.

Yorb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Failure for me, thanks for the try though. I have a Sapphre New Edition 4890 with the dreaded Hynix memory (running rom #2).

EDIT: ikari2002's solution of installing netkas 10.6.3 over Keita 1's patch has brought me the wonders of qe/ci on 10.6.6! Still slow as balls, but at least it runs. Thanks!

Last edited:

ajax3712

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011

Keita 1,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

After trying various methods, I almost gave up on getting QE to work on my card. I ran across this post and ran it and it worked immediate wonders.

Unfortunately, I just updated to 10.6.7 w/o thinking to check to see if a newer version of the installer was created. Any chance that you might be able to revise your installer for this version of OSX?

Thanks much!!!
-alex

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Got 4870 working under 10.6.7 with QE/CI

Thanks once again to the gurus!

I had skipped 10.6.6 since there was initially no support for my XFX HD4870.

So today hoping for the best I updated directly to 10.6.7, then applied the 10.6.6CompletePatch, then kept working backwards with QE/CI patches using Zeus 2.3 until I hit the 10.6.3 patch and got QE/CI enabled again.

Now I can run 10.6.7 and Aperture 3.1.2 and enjoy the fixes. But my OpenGL framerate is pathetic, on some tests only 10% of the speed I had back on 10.6.4.

So I'm looking forward to a real fix, if possible, that's compatible with 10.6.7 without having all that crufty old compatibility code patched in.

maosmurf

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Good luck. And please feel free to post successes or issues.
First, big thanks for your effort!

Unfortunately, when I want to install your package, I get the error "10.6.6 PachComplete can't be installed on this disk. Installation cannot proceed, as not all requirements were met.", also on my SSD startup disk.

I have a MacPro 1,1 with a 4890HD, which was running perfectly on 10.6.6 (and has now broken QECI support as I updated to 10.6.7)

I tried to reinstall QECI packages from 10.6.3, 10.6.4 + GU, 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 - still co success.

What are the requirements?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I don't get upgrade-horny people that later complain they broke their QECI when they are well aware that it will happen every update. :rolleyes:
You either wait until a patch is produced, or don't upgrade at all.

Last edited:

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Unfortunately, when I want to install your package, I get the error "10.6.6 PachComplete can't be installed on this disk. Installation cannot proceed, as not all requirements were met.", also on my SSD startup disk.

I bypassed the compatibility check by installing the 10.6.6PatchComplete package using Pacifist. Then used Zeus to add the QE/CI support patch from 10.6.3.

-Steve

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
While browsing in Safari I got a screen freeze with a series of log entries of the form:

Code:
kernel:    ** Device in slot: SLOT-1 **
kernel:    ** GPU Debug Info Start **
<[i]long hex dump not shown[/i]>
kernel:   ** GPU Debug Info End **

Never seen that one before, but not surprised, given the witches brew of drivers I've got installed (see prev post.) SLOT 1 would be my XFX 4870 card.

But wondering if it had anything to do with today's Safari 5.0.5 update or 10.6.7 Security Update.

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
works in 10.6.8

Hi, I would just like to report that the Keita 1 extensions as posted at the top worked to get my ATI Radeon Sapphire HD4890 1GB HDMI/DVI/DP enabled with QECI acceleration under 10.6.8.

After installing the Keita 1 extensions i then rolled back through all the Zues patches until i came to one that it recognised as working, which was 10.6.3. I then repaired my disk permissions and restarted.

Also to note is that the Keita installer package wouldn't run, so i did a manual install using Pacifist / Kext Helper b7 to put the extensions and frameworks in the correct places.

The question i now have is what is it exactly in this mix that makes things work for these troublesome cards that can't be replicated in something like Zues? From looking at the packages the things that seem to change are the installation of older OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks, the majority of the ATI kexts are v1.6.18 and the Zues ones for 10.6.3 are v1.6.10. Also, the 10.6.3 Zues patch is the only one where 4 kext patches are provided (ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, ATIRadeonX2000.kext, ATISupport.kext). Is there something specific in those that get things going? and is there a way to apply that to the newer apple extension packs for better performance?

I'd love to try and work this out.
I haven't come across anything that may be broken using this mix but i will post if i do.

Thanks to all for all the work that has been put into getting these cards working.

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
Thanks to all for all the work that has been put into getting these cards working.

Thanks for the complete report on enabling the HD4890 under 10.6.8. If you have benchmarks for performance under GLView it would be interesting to see results. Just make sure you set up the test parameters as shown here:

attachment.php

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for the complete report on enabling the HD4890 under 10.6.8. If you have benchmarks for performance under GLView it would be interesting to see results. Just make sure you set up the test parameters as shown here:

No probs. Here are my results using GLView 4.0, which look similar to those above. I also thought i'd see how it compared to running it under my Windows 7 Bootcamp drive... the results speak for themselves.. think i'll be sticking with bootcamp for games for a while yet.

Attachments

• Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 1.jpg
    Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 2.jpg
    Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 3.jpg
    Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Keita 1+Zeus 10.6.3) 3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Win 7 1.JPG
    Win 7 1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Win 7 2.JPG
    Win 7 2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 144

Yorb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi, I would just like to report that the Keita 1 extensions as posted at the top [...]

Wow, awesome! Any reason you used these as opposed to the ones in the more recent 10.6.7 thread of Keita 1's? I'm in the process of trying something similar to get it working in 10.7, but using the most recent Keita 1 patch from the other thread. So far no luck. I'll keep you posted. :)

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Wow, awesome! Any reason you used these as opposed to the ones in the more recent 10.6.7 thread of Keita 1's?

Hi, I didn't even realise that there were newer ones, i went straight from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 so i had the other ones still laying around from my previous patch, and just ended up doing what i did in 10.6.6 and it seemed to work. Did you try the 10.6.3 Zeus patch after Keita's? Also repairing disk permissions may help.

I've just taken a quick look at Keita's 10.6.7 patch and it seems pretty identical to the 10.6.6 ones except the installer now runs properly.

Here again are my steps used:
• Install Keita 1's patch (either 10.6.6 or 10.6.7)
• Install Zeus 10.6.3 patch (none of the newer ones work for me)
• Repair disk permissions (not really needed but just to be safe)
• Restart.

Good luck. Post benchmarks if you have, be good to see how they compare.

Yorb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi, I didn't even realise that there were newer ones, i went straight from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 so i had the other ones still laying around from my previous patch, and just ended up doing what i did in 10.6.6 and it seemed to work. Did you try the 10.6.3 Zeus patch after Keita's? Also repairing disk permissions may help.

I've just taken a quick look at Keita's 10.6.7 patch and it seems pretty identical to the 10.6.6 ones except the installer now runs properly.

Here again are my steps used:
• Install Keita 1's patch (either 10.6.6 or 10.6.7)
• Install Zeus 10.6.3 patch (none of the newer ones work for me)
• Repair disk permissions (not really needed but just to be safe)
• Restart.

Good luck. Post benchmarks if you have, be good to see how they compare.

Ahh, makes sense. So far I've been unable to boot after installing Keita 1's patch (hangs on the spinning wheel and no luck with single user mode or safe boot either), so when I get home I'll try restoring from a time machine backup and follow your steps. I don't have a ton of hope for it though, as the extensions in 10.7 might be quite a bit different. They're version 7.2.9 for one thing.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Wow, awesome! Any reason you used these as opposed to the ones in the more recent 10.6.7 thread of Keita 1's? I'm in the process of trying something similar to get it working in 10.7, but using the most recent Keita 1 patch from the other thread. So far no luck. I'll keep you posted. :)

it won't work for lion

simply wont work, dont waste your time

Yorb

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Raleigh, NC
it won't work for lion

simply wont work, dont waste your time

Thanks for the tip cind ^_^

Any hope for a patch in the future that will work? I remember you've been fairly negative about hope for anything past 10.6.3 and yet we've gotten QE/CI for every one so far... Not saying you're wrong, just that ANYTHING is possible. :) You just have to BELIEVE! haha

pixxelpusher

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
... I don't have a ton of hope for it though, as the extensions in 10.7 might be quite a bit different. They're version 7.2.9 for one thing.

Ahh, yes Cindori's right, didn't realise you were exclusively trying for Lion. The 10.7 extensions are different to those used in 10.6 which is why i have only taken my machine to 10.6.8 for now. I wouldn't expect the the current patch method to work under Lion until newer patches are made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.