1080 50p into FCPX?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iHateMacs, Aug 14, 2011.

1. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Has anyone figured a way to force FCPX to import 50p AVCGD footage without first converting it?

While trying to import this from a camera (Panasonic HDC-HS900) it will see the 50i clips but not show the 50p clips.

I have tried Final Mate to convert to ProRes 422HQ but it would be nicer if FCPX would see it in the first place.

2. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Well after some fiddling I found that recording a mixture of 50i and 50p clips FCPX only shows the 50i clips only in the import screen but swapping the names of the clips around i.e. renaming a 50p clip to that of a 50i clip and visa versa FCPX will then show the 50p clips and will import them but will NOT show the 50i clip. It must then think the 50i clip is one that it cannot import.

Clearly then it's not the 50p .MTS file that is the problem but something in a separate file that is making FCPX think it can't recognise the file.

3. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

I am using 50p Video from Panasonic HDC-600SD with Final Cut Pro X since some time now.
    I strongly recommend getting ClipWrap. It is a program that rewraps mts Files into a - lets say - more compatible mts File. It doesnt need to recode the original file it just rewraps it into a tweaked container.
    Works perfect with FCPX.

ClipWrap can also recode the mts files to ProRes.

I would strongly recommend rewrapping the mts files with ClipWrap as FCPX can import and use those files(the originals) to render the final movie instead of the ProRes files. You can still let FCPX produce ProRes Files so you can edit with more comfort - the mts files are usually a bit choppy to edit. As I said to render the final movie uses the original (rewrapped mts) instead of the ProRes files.

Good luck :apple:

4. iHateMacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Thanks for that. I had never heard of Clipwrap.

I've downloaded the trial and it works a treat. FCPX seems to work smoothly with the rewrapped files.