1080 video capture

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

I was at the Apple Store today playing with the new iPad and I noticed that when using the camera function on video the screen that the screen doesn't capture the same area that it does when the camera is in still mode. When switching from still to video it kind of zooms. Is there a way to capture video using the same frame size as the stills capture? Nobody at the Apple Store could figure it out. The conclusion at the store was that it can't. Anyone know about this stuff?

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Its exactly the same with every mobile camera ever created.

I don't know why though.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried this a minute ago on my sister's iPad 2 and it doesn't do this.

----------

Moderators, you can delete this thread. I found my answer. By accident posted there the first time in the wrong forum but it was still answered. Thanks.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Double tap the screen an it will go into widescreen mode and show you exactly what it will capture :)

* also works on the iphone

5. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks,but are you talking about the current iPad? Just wondering because what I was curious about was that when I go from stills to video on the new ipad I need to move back ten steps to get the shot I want. This isn't necessary with the ipad 2.

Someone mentioned it was because of the size of the video compared to the stills.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The pixels being sampled for video is cropped from a middle section of the sensor. Still images use the whole sensor for taking the image, while video uses a 16:9 box in the middle (it doesn't take up the whole width of the sensor either, which is why you have to step back).

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was really interested in knowing the answer.

By the way, is there an option to shoot in a lower resolution or can I jailbrake for this?

8. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

it's largely to give the video processor less work to do, as it has to work with fewer pixels to make the final image at 30fps. the ipad 2 has such a low pixel count that it can use the full sensor.

nokia are promising that their new 'wonder camera' has such a powerful image processor that it will be able to use the entire sensor at all times.

9. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I guess I'll go with the iPad 2 for classroom use as being in a classroom there is sometimes a lack of space and the kids wouldn't be able to move back too far given room size constraints. This should last me some years as I can't see Apple putting in Nokia's not yet developed wonder camera in the next iPad. Thanks.