1080p & 4K video on a 3.33GHz quad 2009 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Loa, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I asked this question in the Mac Pro forum, but this is probably the better place for it. I'm thinking of buying the upcoming nikon D500 and with it explore 1080p and maybe some 4K video. Can a 3.33 quad 2009 Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and a sata3 card and SSD cut it?

Thanks

Loa

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have a 2009 2.93 QC with 8GB and a GT120, plus some plain Hitachi HDDs. Works just fine on 1080p. Don't misunderstand, you can still have an 8-clip multicam choke FCP if you have the wrong clip import settings bit for single or dual camera work I haven't come across any issues. Note that HD and 4K suck up storage like a black hole - you may need storage beyond SSD.

3. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Thanks for the info.

I have plenty of storage beyond the SSD, but I was planning on using it as a work drive. Guess my next step will be to learn the optimal import settings/codecs.

Loa

4. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

Import as both Proxy and Optimized so you have the smallest, fastest files to edit with followed by the high quality files to export your final video with. If you're just playing around and don't plan on making anything for distribution of any kind then you can just stick with Proxy import.

Everything you need to know is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12702?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

One thing I would add: ProRes Proxy files made from 4k material are scaled to 2k. Great for editing, but if you want to export 4k, don't forget to switch your timeline media to optimised/original.