1080p 60 FPS vs 30

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DDanis60, Oct 30, 2015.

1. DDanis60 macrumors newbie

I have looked for about 15 minutes but couldn't find any info on this topic yet.

I noticed this morning in the tech specs for the AT4 that it outputs at 1080p at 60fps. I then went and looked under the ATV3 and saw that it maxed out at 30. If you look under "compare", it only says 1080p for both. but looking under the individual items lists the fps.

Im surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, because to me this is a huge upgrade. That along with the processor upgrade justifies most of the upgrade cost to me.

Im sorry if this has already been brought up.. my search skillz are not
    always wonderful.

2. Gueeds macrumors regular

Mostly for Games and smoothness in menus. I would hope movies and shows aren't 60fps, sports I wouldn't mind 60fps. Now if only they could get 24fps, I'd be in heaven

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

This will make me sound really stupid but why would you want less fps? 60 to 24?

or is that not how it works?

4. devinthomas macrumors regular

Most filmed cinema is recorded at 24fps. It's what gives movies that 'movie look'.

5. TimothyB, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Movies are shot at 24fps and usually encoded at that. So you run into a problem where 24fps can't be converted to 60fps to match a tv's 60hz refresh rate without uneven duplication of frames. This adds a stutter or jitter to films. Mostly noticeable in slow pans.

With an option for 24fps output in the movie player, and a tv that supports 24hz, 48hz, 96hz, 120hz and 240hz, you can get a more natural film like experience.

Not to be confused with the terrible smoothing effect tv's do where they create fake frames by morphing between each original frame on 120-240hz tv's that make everything look like a soap opera.

In this case, sending 24fps to a 120hz tv will then duplicate each frame 5 times evenly. You still get the original framerate, but no flicker if you actually had the tv do 24hz.

With 60hz, converting 24fps will have some frames duplicated 3 times, some duplicated 2 times, causing the jitter.

6. DDanis60 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is all good info, and i was completely unaware. I always thought that the higher the frames: the smoother the picture. But i guess that only makes sense if you record in 60 fps.. as opposed to watching a 24 fps movie.

Thanks for all the info!

7. Steve J0bs macrumors regular

I believe the MLB app runs at 60FPS now. Don't quote me on that though.