Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lastmile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Is there a way to capture uncompressed 1080p video on a G5?

I've got an external SAS disk array and dedicated RAID card.

I've looked at the specs for the older Aja Kona (LHe or LHi) cards with PPC drivers. They are listed as capturing 1080pfs.

I want to capture over HDMI, either directly or through an HDMI to SDI converter. No HDPC protected content so that's not a problem.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@lastmile I have not seen any capturing devices capable of producing HD content on a PowerPC. That being said, you would need a powerful G5 to playback 1080p, if that is even feasible. I purchased a Diamond OneTouch VC500 Mac edition capture device. It does not do HD, but it works over USB just fine with most any G4 or G5.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Just a heads up since you're not getting many replies. Your thread is marked "Resolved" so people are probably not opening it.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
go to your original post, top right-hand area and look for a small gear icon, click on it and get this menu...
Select Edit Title.
Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 3.39.28 PM.png

lastmile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
OK, finally fixed it. Thanks. I'd been accessing the forum using Tapatalk on my iPhone and I couldn't see a way to remove the resolved tag until I was on a computer.

I haven't found anything that is PPC-compatible that will capture at 1080p/30. The Aja LHi PCIe card will capture at 1080i and 1080 Psf.

I picked up a Matrox MXO2 Mini that will capture up to 1080p/30 over HDMI or component. Its the version with the MAX H.264 compression hardware. That would be great for a G5 that lacks the CPU power to convert captured uncompressed video (or video using other codecs) to H.264, but it requires an Intel Mac. I'll test it out with my Mac Pro and PC and see how it works, but unless I come across another solution that doesn't fit in the PPC forum.

But, for anyone with interest in this topic, I picked up too very cool looking Sony Blu-ray players. The BDP-S1 was the first player sold in the US and unlike newer players it will output 1080i over component. The BDP-S550 is newer and adds some features but I believe it can't do HD over component. Anyway, both have blue glass fronts and look very cool. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.