1080p Judder, but only for first quicktime run

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snowmoon, Apr 16, 2009.

1. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Ok, got a UMBP 2.4ghz 15".

I'm using as a test http://www.apple.com/trailers/summit/astroboy/hd/ 1080p version.

I always get judder, opening the inspector command-i shows that it's not keeping up but activity monitor shows that it's only using 20-30% of the CPU.

Here is where it gets freaky. If I leave quicktime open and switch to another account it plays back perfectly, keeps up no problems and uses 60-80% of the CPU!

I have stripped the accounts down so there is little or nothing extra running in the background and the system has plenty of ram. I have installed and uninstalled perian multiple times without effect. I have the 9600 GPU enabled and I'm tearing my hear out because it's just so bizarre.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

for 1080p movies I use Plex, and it works flawlessly, give it a try...

3. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I use Boxee to play back movies perfectly on my unibody macbook pro. You can download and install both Plex and Boxee to try them out but from my personal experience, I've found Boxee to be better. Plex was the best until Boxee came around. I believe Plex is more of a side project for a group of people, as opposed to Boxee which has great ambitions and a company behind it.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I played the Trailer 2 in 1080p in fullscreen using Quicktime. It played flawlessly. Never dropped a single frame.

You should use Quicktime on a new MBP also because it will leverage the h.264 decoding in the graphics card, whereas the third party solutions will not.

5. snowmoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I'm using quicktime on a UMBP and it stutters, that's the problem. It does it on every login, but not if I login and leave quicktime running and switch to another user.

It's bizarre.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im guessing it has something to do with how QT manages RAM or something like that. once its loaded into RAM its easier to come back to.

7. snowmoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

No, if that were the case hitting play again on the trailer would solve the issue.

8. snowmoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

AH-HA!

SMC Update 1.2 and now it play smoothly.

Who would have guessed, it's the first time one of the SMC updates made a difference for me.