Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Have you tried another movie or have you been trying the same movie all the time? Have you tried bringing the movie to another computer and seeing if it plays fine?

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I almost hate to suggest this but:

Try playing it in Windows (via Boot Camp) using VLC or/and Windows Media Player with K-Lite Codec Pack? :eek:

EDIT: I also want to tell you this. MKV is a container that always makes my videos lag like hell! Try to get the video into a different container any way you can.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
If you're having problems with choppy H.264 1080P video in VLC, you might try this:

Go to VLC Menu > Preferences
In the lower left of the window change the button from "Basic" to "All".
Then on the left go to "Input/Codecs" > "Other Codecs" > "FFmpeg"
On the right you should see an option called “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding”
Change it from “none” to “all”
Quit VLC and start it again

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
If you're having problems with choppy H.264 1080P video in VLC, you might try this:

Go to VLC Menu > Preferences
In the lower left of the window change the button from "Basic" to "All".
Then on the left go to "Input/Codecs" > "Other Codecs" > "FFmpeg"
On the right you should see an option called “Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding”
Change it from “none” to “all”
Quit VLC and start it again

THANK YOU!

It's still not perfect, but it is now watchable on these particular 17Mbps H264 streams assuming I don't do anything else at the same time

mphuie

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
The problem isn't H.264, its the x264 MKV.

All the players for MKV for OS X are horribly unoptimized. Even VLC on Windows can't play 1080p unless you have an extremely beefy processor, which is why you need CoreAVC and Haali media splitter to play them on the PC.

You might try remuxing into an H.264 format by using MKVextract to split the streams and converting the audio into AAC and repackaging it. I've done it a few times testing HD on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.