1080p on PowerbookG4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrPilot, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MrPilot, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

Hi!

Wanted to talk about 1080p on Powerbook G4. I have the HR 15" version and have been trying different video players for HD video.

Today I'm taking a 1080p movie coded by yify and play it through VLC, Chroma and XBMC. I will show VLC with both no filter skipping and with ALL filter skips.

Lastly I will show 1080p on XBMC.

Video is being prepared on youtube... stand by for links

----------

XBMC 1080p:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGAp1dgi4Q

----------

CHROMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKjN_dzL4g

----------

VLC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPvhdpdNY7o

----------
    EDIT: QT Player added
    QuickTime Player:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-Z1GwQATM

Please look at all 4 and compare for yourselves... any other player I should Include?

2. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Excellent work!!! PowerPC, DEAD?? I think NOT... Where can I get Chroma? Never heard of it...

3. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

When i tried using XBMC on my 20" iMac G4 1.25 with 2 gigs of ram it works but was a lil choppy ... In your video did u change any settings or is that app running at default ?

4. Wildy, Jun 20, 2013

Wildy macrumors 6502

That is really odd that there's so much difference in two of the most popular open source applications - does this difference happen on x86 as well, or just PPC?

Are you using the latest VLC? There are some people reporting that the latest version is slower than previous versions.

What format is Yify using to encode them?

EDIT: So on Windows, XBMC will perform hardware-accelerated decoding on R420 onwards. Is this different for Macs then? (PB G4 has an R300 - not sure which Nvidia cards they use)

EDIT2: I've found reports of a couple of Linux folks who have hardware accelerated decoding with R300. Supposedly it uses OpenGL to perform decoding.

EDIT3: And VLC is not able to utilize OpenGL for accelerated decoding, thus all the work is done on the CPU.

Case closed!

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Test Quicky Time. It will give me and many others idea of how good using Quicky Time is.

6. MrPilot, Jun 20, 2013

MrPilot thread starter macrumors 6502

Default I think. I might have turned off v-sync or vertical sync.. also I think I selected advanced shaders but default is "auto" so really no difference. Btw, shaders I think are disabled on the powerpc version of xbmc anyway :(

Also please have in mind that this powerbook has 2Gb mem and 1.67Ghz processor...

----------

Hi!

I will try it on my MBP later to check if the same happens on intel macs.

The VLC version I showed is 1.1.12 as VLC 2.0.6 is too slow on powerpc.

Movies are encoded with x264 using the H.264/MPEG-4 codec, with mp4 as container

Btw, I don't think there's any GPU acceleration taking place on xbmc ppc under osx 10.5.8 (I tried changing GPU cpu and mem speeds, with no change).

It's still a mystery as to why VLC is so slow compared to XBMC... I mean with XBMC I can actually watch 720p HD youtube flash on this machine

----------

will test and upload soon to youtube :)

7. MrPilot thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok QuickTime performance video posted on youtube :)

8. MrPilot thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, nowdays I'm able to (sort of) watch 1080p as well on this powerbook G4 without coreplayer. It all depends on the codec but the last movie I watched played just fine.

I had an external drive with Tiger and also downloaded an older XBMC 9.11

After that it was quite smooth. Some movies with more detail I had to skip back and forward 10secs with arrow keys quickly to re-sync audio, did that twice a minute or so... nothing too bad