1080p output on MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarkFlame, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

What are the odds of this?
    Assuming the micro dvi is just like the mini dvi. The only difference between the mba and the mb (which can currently output 1080p x264 files fine w/0 skip) would be the .42 decrease in processor speed and the pata drive. The ram and video card are the same.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The Air ought to be able to output 1080p files just fine. Video only, though. The Air has analog audio out and won't be able to output the kind of audio quality that is typically associated with 1080p video.

3. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

are you sure the speaker isn't just analog but it is stereo out?

4. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

the speaker is mono.
    the audio out is analog and i can't see why it won't be stereo.
    you won't get 5.1 sound, but if you wouldn't be using a macbook air as a home theatre pc, so for basic hd viewing i.e. headphones or sound through the tv speakers, you should be fine.

output is 1920x1200
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

u might have to close the lid, but ive run 1080 of lower specced machines, its the dual core that helps significantly.

5. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I do plan on using it as my home theatre laptop but I don't need optical sound. I just need to know if its a full stereo audio out just like the one in the macbook. I just output to an amp and that takes care of my 5.1 to 5 of my speakers =)

I guess then the most important thing would be if it could play 1080p content through an external usb 2.0 drive???