1080p Playback (BONUS: Edit??) on G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dbdjre0143, Sep 26, 2018.

1. dbdjre0143 macrumors 6502

dbdjre0143

Since finally setting up SMTube/MPlayer as specified in this thread, I have LOVED actually being able to use 720p YouTube on my DLSD PB G4.

Now, that has me wondering, is there a set of flags that can be passed to MPlayer to be able to view locally stored 1080p content in a reasonable way? I figure if its possible, some of the smart folks on this forum are already doing it. :)

My current use case: We just started recording the message in each service at my church. The camera we bought produces MOV files in 1080p. I tried opening it in MPlayer on my G4, and the audio plays clearly, but the video is far out of sync at unwatchable FPS.

P.S.: My job is to trim the beginning and end of the video, then upload them to our YouTube channel. I have iMovie HD on my PB, but it was so slow importing the 1080p video that I gave up and just used my Windows 10 desktop to do the task. Does anyone know of a workflow that will let me do that on the G4 without taking all day?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

What kind of encoding is used on those .mov files? Really and truly, 1080p on a single CPU G4 is really going to be a mostly miserable experience.

3. dbdjre0143 thread starter macrumors 6502

dbdjre0143

According to VLC, the files are using the "H264 - MPEG-4 AVC" codec. Sorry, I'm far from an expert on media formats, so not really sure if that's good or bad news for playback/editing on my G4.

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

It's too much for your DLSD - it can edit 1080P DV files but the conversion process back and forth is too time consuming - I'd stick with the Win 10 machine for this task.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    Also for 1080P h264 playback on a DLSD your options are:

Mplayer with these parameters - -framedrop -cache 8192 -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref -really-quiet
    Coreplayer with prefs tweaks
    VLC with framedrop options
    XBMC

There are exceptions to all of these - not every file plays ball.

5. dbdjre0143 thread starter macrumors 6502

dbdjre0143

Even with those parameters, its still showing about 1 frame per minute. :D Oh well, I guess this is one task my ol' G4 actually can't handle. Those are few and far between, and its kinda nice to have something that I actually need the power of my desktop for anyways.
    Thanks for the help!

6. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

AFAIK there are less CPU-intensive codecs that you might be able to transcode into...
    But the quality might take a hit...

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Quality will be fine - it's just the time and the disk space it consumes.

8. AdamBuker macrumors newbie

AdamBuker

Although intended as an editing codec, you should be able to play 1080p files if they're encoded as either Apple Intermediate Codec or even ProRes. They are less CPU intensive than mp4, but they take up much more space on your HD. I recommend MPEG Streamclip for converting. It works on both PPC and Intel machines and can do batch conversions.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html