1080p video capture

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

I am curious what people have to say about the video quality. I read it was great but then I read one comment on a MR thread about a new iPad owner being disappointed i the quality of the video when being viewed on a large TV screen. Does this make sense? Common sense tells me that the video capture would look fine but I am not familiar with technology beyond just using it.

2. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

If you ask me, the video quality is just fine. If you ask someone who always takes the videos and puts them on a large screen TV, of course they will not look so great. In my humble opinion, I believe the video quality is dependent on lighting. If you have excellent lighting, your video will turn out great. If not such good lighting... Not so great.

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

^^exactly this

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

5. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I wouldn't expect super clear indoor photos. In fact I never had a camcorder that shot well indoors at all. My camcorder bit the dust and my dslr has video but its choppy so I was just checking if the iPad is a good alternative for recreational video that has good quality. It appears to be that.

Do you by chance use imovie to do any editing? Wondering how easy it is and if it allows you to export in 1080.

----------

Nice. It's pretty smooth when you are moving the iPad as well. Looks good to me.

6. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

I did have a chance to edit a movie on iMovie. It is a little lag-ish but I can't complain. I love the functionality and love the way it's so easy to use. Nothing major, just a simple, cute little video. The max export size is 1080p with iMovie to the Camera Roll.

Here's a video edited with iMovie. I happen to love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZiHHKm80h8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing. That was great and it looks like something kids in my classroom could use for a project. Just wondering about your lag-ish comment. Do you think that the lag could be frustrating in the future or is it really no big deal?

Thanks again for the vid.

8. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

At times, it could be frustrating but I will say that it's no big deal because who does hard core editing on a mobile version of iMovie? I would say it takes about 10 minutes to make a nice cute little video that could be fun to share with the family. I just recently edited a video of my winter vacation trip on my iPad. I will post it to YouTube and share the link.

9. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That would be great.

10. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

I believe that unless you are going to invest in a "real" professional DLSR, anything less should be covered by the ipad. It think its amazing for a tablet, but still not touching something on a DLSR.

11. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not expecting DSLR good, just good. It appears the iPad is that. Much appreciated.

12. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

Excellent:)

The other members are absolutely correct about the cameras dependency on light, but holy cow do the pictures from my backyard look awesome!

13. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

15. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. Aurora91 macrumors newbie

1080p video capture

The youtube video helps me a lot, thx!