Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I was at the Apple Store today playing with the new iPad and I noticed that when using the camera function on video the screen is that the screen doesn't capture the same area that it does when the camera is in photo mode. When switching from still to video it kind of zooms. Is there a way to capture video using the same frame size as the stills capture? Nobody at the Apple Store could figure it out. The conclusion was that it can't. Anyone know about this stuff?

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
The new iPad takes stills at a resolution of 2592 x 1936 whereas 1080p video is typically at a resoltuion of 1920 x 1080. These resolutions aren't in the same ratio in terms of height and width, which is why the images that appear on the screen when you are taking stills as opposed to recording video will be different.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
The new iPad takes stills at a resolution of 2592 x 1936 whereas 1080p video is typically at a resoltuion of 1920 x 1080. These resolutions aren't in the same ratio in terms of height and width, which is why the images that appear on the screen when you are taking stills as opposed to recording video will be different.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with this stuff but I want to be educated. I just like tio know. Is this because of the lens on the device? For example, dslr's don't do this. I know I am talking about two vastly different pieces of electronics but I am just curious.

Thanks

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
To bes honest, I'm not entirely sure for the reasons myself. I guess that quite a lot of it could just be down to convention and standards. As in, the differences between 4:3 and 16:9 and the switch to 16:9 that's happened over time, for a number of things, but not all.

Apart from that, perhaps there are limitations on what the device can record video in due to it being something like 30fps, which is a lot more data than taking a single still at a considerably larger resolution, obviously.

Like I said, I am by no means an expert, not at all, but I too am interested in this sort of stuff in quite general terms and can really only hypothesise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.