1080p Video Shot & Edited on iPhone 4S [More Videos Posted]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamGabbay, Oct 17, 2011.

1. SamGabbay, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Just want your thoughts on this video I shot and edited on my new iPhone 4S. Took a while and iMovie crashed a few times.

Link to the YouTube Video

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Very nice! I did the same but ultimately backed out the titling because my first clip was fairly long and I could not find a way to either have the beginning title stop after a few seconds, nor split the clip at playhead and assign the title to the part before the split. I even tried to go back into the camera roll to see if I could split it there, but no precise way seemed to be present. Any ideas?

Again, nice job!

3. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

I just used iMovie. It did crash on me multiple times.

Sam

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

Boy that would've sucked if you'd dropped the phone in that shot with the tide coming up on the beach :p

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I liked it.

Technical point: slow down your pans (side-to-side, up-down movements) by at least half of what you have in the video

6. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Hahaha I know!!!!!

Trust me, this phone ain't goin anywhere anytime soon. Especially in the ocean.

Sam

----------

Yes, thank you. I know for next time. I realized when I published that I am really bad at panning. Something to work on now that my hands won't be doing any typing thanks to Siri.

Sam

7. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Nice work. Love the 1080p. Now how the hell do you get YouTube to load the 1080p?

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I learned this from someone around here yesterday. You have to save it to a computer and upload it in 1080p to YouTube from there.

9. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Nice vid man , I wish I could make something like that for my vacations lol

10. 96whitels macrumors member

96whitels

11. rmastbro macrumors member

12. gillybean macrumors 6502a

13. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Exactly what I did.

Sam

----------

Thank you. It was very easy. Video stabilization on the 4S is absolutely incredible. Editing in iMovie was a dream (except for those pesky little crashes it occasionally made).

Sam

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That was awesome. I should really try recording something on my 4S...

Does iMovie come with the music? I should know this considering I own the app.

15. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Thank you! And yes iMovie does come with a few theme songs. Most of them range from 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Do you mind posting if you have trouble with it? In terms of it crashing...

Sam

16. dkmalethia macrumors newbie

Coool !!!!!

Very cool video! Can you make another one? Please do, it was so enjoyable to watch.

17. thepan, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

thepan macrumors newbie

That's right..

Because most of the video editing apps (like iMovie, Vimeo, Splice, and ReelEditor) still follows the nature of the iPhone 4 (720p at maximum).
    A.k.a have not being updated for the iPhone 4S capabilities.

So, no choice but to edit and upload it from your computer in order to preserve the resolution.

EDIT:

This is mine btw:

18. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Very cool video.

Anyone else make a video they would like to share?

Sam

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'd be curious to know how big the video files you're working on are... aka, would one need a 32G (or 64G) phone in order to film regularly?

I'd have no problem dumping the videos nightly once I got home and to the computer, but I'd hate to run out of room quickly in the middle of the day.

20. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

21. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

I have a 64GB iPhone and find myself looking for video files to delete constantly. I shot a 2 minute video of the ocean and it turned out to be close to 235MB.

To be an avid filmmaker with the iPhone you need at least 100GB of storage to get through a full days work. I take these small little shots and I am constantly cutting them to take out the "useless" parts.

I am not worried about running out of room more or less, running out of battery. I was shooting for my next video at the beach again today, for around 30 minutes or so. Shooting these small little clips and at the end when I was finished I had around 35% battery remaining. When I started I had about 87%.

Sam

22. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Neat :)

Love the shot of the sun, I remember when doing that would have ruined a multi-thousand dollar video camera faster than you could think about it.

23. M33-1 macrumors member

Unfortunately, cell phone video is still not as good as holding a heavier weighted camera for stability. The 1080p is great, but the not so fluid motion can make one sick watching. I'm very happy with my 4s, due to convenience. If I were making amateur independent films though, I'd invest in a heavy DSLR to minimize shake in the hand.

It is fun to make and edit videos on the phone. Good job!!

24. scootaru macrumors 6502

Anybody know a good place for royalty-free music to be used for iPhone movies?