10extra Gb's with 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Lolito, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I noticed that my 10.9 installation uses less space than my 10.8 installation with disabled "hybernation" file:

As I use a 60Gb SSD I discovered that I could liberate like an extra 7gb of my 10.8 installation a few months ago, and so I did. Now I noticed that my 10.9 installation has a couple extra Gb's free, WITHOUT THE NEED TO DISABLE WRITING THAT HIBERNATION FILE...

Interesting... Now I wonder how apple managed to do this, and if my laptop is asleep and battery runs out, what would happen... It's a great idea for laptops with ssd's i think. Maybe the new system waits until battery is nearly death to write that "hibernation" file...

Perhaps any expert could confirm how they did it? thanks a lot!!

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Sleepfile is created the same as always, although I did notice that the sleep file is only the size of the amount of ram actually in use, as opposed to having an 8gb sleep image for 8gb of ram. Also, it is possible that they just managed to make the OS have a smaller footprint.

3. Lolito thread starter macrumors 6502

Lolito

installation size is basically the same, but the file as you said seems to copy just what is used, before it was way larger.

4. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

I noticed this as well. Previously with ML, sleepimage was the same size as the total amount of RAM in the system (for me, 16GB), with Mavericks sleepimage consumes an amount of diskspace which is equal to the total used RAM.