10GB network performance via Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro

StefanG

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Hi there,

I would like to get you guys advice when it comes to the real-world performance of my MacBook Pro (2018, i9, 32GB, 1TB, Vega 20) paired with an Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro.

Setup:
MacBook Pro
2018, i9, 32GB, 1TB, Vega 20 connected via the Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to a Dell 4K monitor and the second port of the Synology DS3617XS 10GB Intel network card

Windows PC
Windows 10 desktop directly connected to a Synology DS3617XS using identical 10GB Intel network cards

10GB network
Direct connection PC to NAS port 1, direct connection Mac via Akitio to NAS port 2, full duplex, Jumbo (9000) frames

Issue:
The connection between the PC and the NAS performs very well in benchmarks and in real world. Transferring large files between the two parties peeks at the theoretical 1GB/s transfer limit with an average of 300-500MB/s for large files (x GB).
The described Mac setup performs very well in Benchmarks e.g. Blackmagic showing read and write speeds around 900MB/s BUT in real world large file transfers between the NAS and the MAC will top out at 200MB/s max, more likely to be less than 100MB/s. I even switched off WiFi to make sure that the transfer between both parties will exclusively use the 10GB connection without any (as expected) impact.

Question:
Are there other people around experience similar behaviour? As pointed out above the connection seems to be setup correctly, otherwise Blackmagic wouldn't be able to reach the expected limits.

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:

StefanG

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Interesting enough I came across this item too. Originally I used SMB but when I looked into the settings of my Synology NAS it suggested to connect using AFB instead. I changed the connection type and it seems to solve the issue. File transfers using SMB seems to be rather slow (sometimes 60MB/s only) but AFB is performing at around 300MB/s in average.