10gb of RAM? Do we need this?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Michael Goff, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

We don't need it, definitely not. Android does though :D

3. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

:|

6 is more than enough for Android.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Tough crowd. I'll work on my routine - maybe won't open with it next time.

5. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

I'm sorry, but it's hard to tell if you're being serious or not when some people would actually say that. I thought you were being serious.

6. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

7. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

Yes. Yes, we do.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

6 for Android, 4 for iOS is optimal. I'm not sure the point of anything more on such a small screen.

9. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

What if you are projecting onto a larger screen?

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

ChromeOS, which is closer to iOS in terms of memory management.

11. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

12. HaliZ macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

13. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Reality is more ram can make device faster, that is the future trend.

14. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

15. slitherjef macrumors 6502a

Excessive and just because "bigger numbers are better" mentality (or maybe Samsung with bloatwiz).

Otherwise kinda pointless. If you want a device to run faster instead of cramming more ram in it, how's about streamlining your code and or stop bloating it down?

:confused:

16. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Bill is not a maker of hardware part otherwise he would say the more ram the better, more green in his pocket.

17. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

I'm curious, as of today, how does the "law of diminishing returns" play into this? given the current demands of our apps, photos, videos, etc. what amount of RAM is perfectly usable and where does it begin to start increasing power draw on the battery to the point where we get back to sub-day battery life (negative gains on battery for positive gains in RAM)? I imagine 10 GB right now is at that point where it's likely consuming more power than it's needed to make the phone work or operate better, but maybe it's power draw is similar to 6 or 8, not sure. I don't know the magic number and future device uses like AR, VR, etc. will benefit from more RAM... but for 2018 and these phones lasting into 2019 and 2020, is 6 enough? is 8 enough? I tend to be in the "moar is better" camp on some things but with RAM and other phone specs, it may not always be the case.... just food for thought. I don't have the "correct" answer :) :p

18. nordique macrumors 65816

That's way overkill for a smartphone. Yeesh.

People are on some "I edit 4k movies on my smart phone while editing my HDR pics all the while playing 3 different graphically intensive games, downloading 20 Apps and shooting a video ... all at the same time"

No, we don't need it at all

19. Klyster macrumors 68000

Klyster

Yes we need it.
    Not because we actually need it but because if we settle for a limit, then we are limited.
    Keep pushing the boundaries.
    For the price people are paying for these devices, there should me more of everything inside them.

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

If we’re going to stray into the Land of cellphones having better specs than most laptops being sold (the majority of laptops sold are the cheap ones)...are we finally going to put to bed the silly notion of “these phones cost more than a laptop!”? We’re all walking around with supercomputers in our pockets, it’s about time we recognize that this class of device can no longer be viewed as “lesser than” computers, but instead a different kind of computer with different use cases.

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

While more is often better, I tend to agree with the following sentiment in regards to RAM and smartphones.

It’s the easy way out for OEMs. Instead of fine tuning your software and optimizing, just throw more RAM inside to deal with the existing inefficiencies. Doesn’t truly fix anything. And in most cases, this is just one OEM having bragging rights to say they had it first, regardless if it actually makes sense and adds value.

22. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

It's one thing to say you'd want it, but if your current day phone needs 10GB of RAM, then its RAM management needs a bit of work.

6-8GB at most I'd think would suffice for most phones.

23. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Until apple decides for you, you know kinda like how 3.5" screen was perfect until...it was not.

24. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

I remember comments like this back when 1GB RAM was seen as unnecessary

25. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Considering how AI, VR and AR are becoming more and more advanced in our phones, as well as features like Super Slow-motion video recording etc etc... I would say 10GB RAM could very well be where we will be in the next 18months or so.