Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Guys,

Did anyone try 10Ge TB adapters on M1 macs? I have Sonnet and going to try it once my mini will arrive next week. I can't find any details on that.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
How did you test the speed? I ran iperf and it gave me 9.90Gbits which is same on Intel.
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 14.50.11.png

Reactions: MK500

Paul F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
How did you test the speed? I ran iperf and it gave me 9.90Gbits which is same on Intel.
View attachment 1682798
Yes Iperf doesn't show it... it is very strange probably a bug in MacOs or something. Try copying normal files or do some work over the network:
Here is the video where the host describes similar thing.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Yes Iperf doesn't show it... it is very strange probably a bug in MacOs or something. Try copying normal files or do some work over the network:
Here is the video where the host describes similar thing.
That guy even not able to achieve 1Gbits line rate in iperf, it is a different problem in his settings.

Paul F

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
That guy even not able to achieve 1Gbits line rate in iperf, it is a different problem in his settings.
Did you actually watch video? His NIC is in TB3 dock. He also tested speed with TB3 SSD in video. I have similar picture, my old Mac mini (Intel one) was getting higher speeds over TB3 Sonnet than now with M1 Mini, not a huge difference but noticeable. Unfortunately I didn't took screenshots. If you have Intel Mac - give it a try yourself.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Did you actually watch video? His NIC is in TB3 dock. He also tested speed with TB3 SSD in video. I have similar picture, my old Mac mini (Intel one) was getting higher speeds over TB3 Sonnet than now with M1 Mini, not a huge difference but noticeable. Unfortunately I didn't took screenshots. If you have Intel Mac - give it a try yourself.
Can you elaborate on your usecase more detailed?
Intel is not faster(and actually slower) on my system, testing an SMB share from same server.
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.16.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.18.46.png

The file copy test supports the same conclusion, how did you feel the "noticeable differences", if at all?

understudyhero

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Something that I didn't know - MacOS will gladly let you set an adaptor to manual 10gb and act like everything is awesome when you are still connected to a 1gb port.

Once I plugged it into the 10Gb port, it has speeds that match my i7 Mac mini w/ built-in 10Gb ethernet and the trashcan Mac Pro it replaced.

M1 Mac mini (Base model) with:
Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor to:
27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display to:
Thunderbolt 2 OWC enclosure with:
AQC107 based card

Switch: 10gb UniFi Switch XG 6 POE
Test transfers: QNAP TVS-871 with 10Gbe add-on, QNAP TS-451+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.